Gaffa tape brand

c.cam108

This has no doubt been covered before, but my search skills came up empty.

What brand of gaffa tape do you all prefer? Especially for taping down cables.

I usually just buy cheap stuff from wherever, but I was looking at LeMark MagTape as I hope it will leave less gunk.

In Australia Nashua 357 is the only proper gaffer tape you should be using. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif Comes in at about $15/Roll if you buy a box of 24 rolls(That is without any wholesale arrangements, or working for large organisations as Mac does)

Comes in 3 main colours (Black,White,Silver) Standard rolls are 50mm wide (2") and 40m long (44yards). Or you can get half width stuff.

That Gaffer that Stylus tapes brings into the country is absolutely horrible (both the black, and the Hazard Gaff), and so is their electrical tape (Horribly thin, and the inner tube is to small to put two fingers through)......

Now if you want to delve into Mythbusters (Going a tad off topic here) in some shots in either one of thier specials, you can occasionally see the markings inside the rolls of tape/fuzzy branding on the outside. Sometimes they do use Nash 357, but in others its Nash 300, and a few other types of tape. Now all gaff aint created equal, and using an inferior brand/ model of gaffer tape could have affected the result of some of their tests. (Say the Gaffer Bridge, if that was built completely from 357, and not a mix of tapes, it may have been stronger?)

We use (and stock) the Advance AT175. Its more shiny than Mag tape - so not as useful when you need a non-relfective finish - but does not leave any nasty glue on surfaces - even after days in place. And less than £6 a roll.

Steve

I keep a few roles of LeMark for anything that will be down for a while but I normally use the CPC cheap stuff and buy it in bulk when it is on offer (<£3.50 a roll). Never had a problem with this stuff leaving a residue if removed within a couple of weeks even in heavy traffic areas.

We're testing Toolstation Duct Tape at the moment as it's coming in at £3.00 per 50m roll + Vat, and there's a Store close to where we're based. It's only used for single shows, so no long term usage.

Black: PN 44852

Silver: PN 29812

We also use their Hazzard tapes, and Insulating tapes. No nasty residue when used on a short term basis.

Archived