Non-Returned Equipment

cfmonk

We dry hired a whole load of equipment to another marquee company last week and they have failed to return all of it despite promising to do so on several occasions. They have now entered a period of "radio silence" and are not answering emails or returning calls.

Can I call the police? How would other people deal with this? I need that equipment back sharpish as it's out next week!

Cheers,

Chris

I suspect it's obtaining goods by deception...

Not at this stage it's not. There needs to be intention to permanently deprive you of them.

Invoice them for the extended hire on your normal terms and when they don't pay you'll have a legal route to take.

Or find out where they are and take them back.

Get proper legal advice now.

I suspect your better route might be to source alternative equipment your self and inform them of the cost of this and that if they do not return your equipment you will be forced to sub hire and pass on the cost to them.

Been there done that with the old van hire firm. Tell them by email and if possible leave an ansaphone message then go and get the kit.

We used to inform the local police station in advance and they could then ignore the neighbours calling to report the van theft. If you cannot get it back then cross-hire, if possible, and add the costs plus handling charge to their bill.

Just telling them in no uncertain terms that you WILL leave a wedding party in a field in the rain might concentrate their minds amazingly quickly.

Archived