Portable recorders

Bazz339

I am tempted to get a portable recorder.

Anyone know both the Tascam DR05 and DR07?

Any signicant difference between them? I just need simple 2 channel recording off mic and line.

neither seem to have a dedicated line input is there any difference between the two units in the sensitivity with a line input plugged in?

Is there anything in the same price bracket £100 or so with a dedicated line input?

DR05 does not appear to have a dedicated external PSU socket although both are able to be powered from USB.

Is there a USB PSU readily available?

I am tempted to get a portable recorder.

Anyone know both the Tascam DR05 and DR07?

Any signicant difference between them? I just need simple 2 channel recording off mic and line.

neither seem to have a dedicated line input is there any difference between the two units in the sensitivity with a line input plugged in?

Is there anything in the same price bracket £100 or so with a dedicated line input?

DR05 does not appear to have a dedicated external PSU socket although both are able to be powered from USB.

Is there a USB PSU readily available?

Have you considered the Zoom offerings? Onboard crossed pai of mics, mic/line input. The H1 is avaialble from under 100 quid.

This product is one which I'd highly recommend having a look at. A great piece of kit, which you can pick up for just over £200 if you shop around.

Edit : Sorry, missed the "£100 budget" bit in your original post, which makes the H4n beyond your reach. They're flippin' good machines, though! ;)

The zoom at least has proper coincident pair stereo - although the slightly spaced pairs on the other recorders will give a more ambient and less defined stereo if that's what you want. I use an Mbox into my mac with a decent cardioid pair. Not stunningly portable but it makes nice recordings. If you've got a laptop and a decent couple of mics there are USB mic preamps available for under £100

Yet another zoom fan. The H2n is also a very interesting recorder with XY on one side and Mid-Side on the other, capable of recording both at once to give 4 channel surround.

I believe the DR-07 has movable mics wheras the DR-05 are fixed. I spoke to Solid State Audio about a week ago on the same subject and at the time they recommended the Olympus LS-5 highly - although a little more pricey at £179 - apparently metal-bodied and more usable.

The DR07 is a fab little recorder - easy to use and superb record quality, accurate VU metres: a joy! Also worth considering is the Roland R-44 at about the same price a and offers 4 channel of recording but require external microphones. We recorded a live opera performance with 4 mics on the Roland and it was as good as Radio 3 !!

The DR07 is a fab little recorder - easy to use and superb record quality, accurate VU metres: a joy! Also worth considering is the Roland R-44 at about the same price a and offers 4 channel of recording but require external microphones. We recorded a live opera performance with 4 mics on the Roland and it was as good as Radio 3 !!

Don't think the R-44 is 'about the same price' - Solid State sound have it at £723, as opposed to £129 for the Tascam. Nice, though.

I started out looking at the Tascam DR05 and DR07 and decided the bag of adaptor leads needed for it would be cumbersome, so stretched the budget to a Tascam DR-40.

Proper XLR/Jack combo inputs for mic or line and 4 channel recording option using the built-in mics and external inputs. If you use the phantom power for external mics it will eat a set of batteries in about 3 hours, but you can run it from a (mini)USB phone charger :-)

My only observation would be that the built-in mics are sensitive to handling and wind noise - screwed onto a tripod indoors is fine and I have seen that Rycote do a windjammer for it but I haven't had a need to get one yet.

Don't think the R-44 is 'about the same price' - Solid State sound have it at £723, as opposed to £129 for the Tascam. Nice, though.

About........

Archived