Which color temperature for front lightning?

flukather

Hi there Niklas,

I was just wondering what it is your are trying to achieve, Set / Scenery wise - Is it a stage play, general wash etc...? there are a lot of colours out there to pick from, depending on what you are doing Steel Blue, a number of Straw gels - let me know if I can help

Hi!

It's for front lightning a cover band. I have the choice to set the color temperature of my front lights. I'm just looking for what looks most natural. I have a bunch of different LED par cans doing the lightning from behind, so I want the front ones just to make the band visable and look good :)

Experiment with what is most flattering to the band? It's likely a warm colour temp of 3200k will look best but have a play around.

Depending on where you're putting them, lighting from one side in 3000k and the other in 5600k will look interesting!

Josh

Hi there Niklas,

I was just wondering what it is your are trying to achieve, Set / Scenery wise - Is it a stage play, general wash etc...? there are a lot of colours out there to pick from, depending on what you are doing Steel Blue, a number of Straw gels - let me know if I can help

I don't think you've understood the question: the OP is askng about colour temperature rather than gel.

...which is the correct color temperature for front lights, so that everything looks natural and nice?

It depends.

The eye is remarkably bad at determining absolute colour temperature but good at seeing a difference between two different values.

When you are outside on a sunny day you don't think everything is very blue and yet illuminate something with a 10,000K source in a room lit at 3,200K and it will look very blue indeed.

If you whole rig is based around 3,200K as a reference then everything will appear balanced. Likewise 3,500K, 6,500K or any other value.

Basically, don't worry about the absolute numbers. Use your eyes and make things look right.

The eye is remarkably bad at determining absolute colour temperature but good at seeing a difference between two different values. ... Use your eyes and make things look right.

Seconded, in spades.

We do this debate every time someone asks something like how I can make something that looks like a sodium streetlight...

I think there is a fundamental flaw in the original post which has lost a bit in translation. Its not really colour temperature the op is asking about but what looks natural as a picture. So to be honest unless lighting for TV it does come down to what gel to use for a war/cold/ natural effect. I would start with good old straw or pale rose and see what that looks like to the eye, then go bolder if required

Actually I'm even more confused. If we're lighting a cover band, then it's likely the other lighting is going to be saturated strong colours - so for face light/specials/feature lighting then anything other than colour works fine as long as they are the same - so 3000 or 5600 will still work. I like bluer, personally - but others like the slightly yellow look. I suspect that in the end, for many people it would simply depend on what type of for lighting you have available - tungsten or discharge?

Archived