Cyclorama Colour

Hello, I am painting my cyc this Easter and was hoping to gain some advice on any specific colours, I understand pale blue and grey are typical for accepting light as opposed to white. Are there specific shades? what are everyone's experiences?

Cheers!

Dave

I understand pale blue and grey are typical for accepting light as opposed to white. Are there specific shades? what are everyone's experiences?

if that be the case why is every cyc in every theatre ive seen ,been bog standard white?

White, white, white, white, white ! That way it becomes whatever colour you want when you light it, which is the whole point.

I wouldn't even consider any other colour or asking anyones opinion.

I wonder if the perceived wisdom that cycloramas should be off white comes from the old days of television? Most studios had cycs and the light blue/grey colour scheme worked better in the days when cameras couldn't handle lots of contrast.

For theatre, I'd stick with white (and even TV studios have white these days).

thank you for all the info, especially the sensible ones.

To my understanding in a conversation with a scenic artist and a lighting technician WHITE cyc walls flare light, which is why they are usually an off colour. White cyc's are usually cloths / gauzes, dispersing any flare from light.

cheers

Those plastic Isora Cycs were a very light blue. There was actually one of these at my venue in the 70s, but it got ripped and replaced with a plain white cloth. I was pretty young then but was told that it worked with the rather yellowish open white to produce something that looked white. The only difference was when we replaced it. Everybody said the new cloth, cloth was actually cream - which is isn't - it just wasn't blue!

hi

to make this more complicated. Is it the same for set pieces?

for example I have been asked for what color should they paint set parts. Boxes and a very big stair.

I believe that with white there is going to be the problem of reflecting light.

thank you for all the info, especially the sensible ones.

To my understanding in a conversation with a scenic artist and a lighting technician WHITE cyc walls flare light, which is why they are usually an off colour. White cyc's are usually cloths / gauzes, dispersing any flare from light.

cheers

I have to think that any problem with flare is more to do with the paint surface rather than the colour. You'd certainly want a totally matte finish (emulating the reflective qualities of cloth) rather than egg shell or semi matte.

hi

to make this more complicated. Is it the same for set pieces?

for example I have been asked for what color should they paint set parts. Boxes and a very big stair.

I believe that with white there is going to be the problem of reflecting light.

To be pedantic if it didn't reflect light you wouldn't see it at all. As others have said it is the level of reflectivity that should concern you. A glossy white surface is different to a matt white surface.

Having said that, unless there is a very good reason to paint a large set piece white (e.g. you are projecting all over it) then it would probably be better to pick a more suitable colour. If everything is white then the LD has 'nowhere to hide'.

Archived