Adding slides & titles to a DVD

Bakerboy1977

I'm new to DVD recording. My church want to record services onto DVD.

We are buying a DVD recorder which will be connected to the output of our Vision Mixer.

We want to add titles and slides, such as powerpoint slides, before and after the recording. What is the best way to do this?

Can we put the slides on a DVD and then record the service after them?

Is there a type of DVD recorder that would make this easier?

I'm no expert on video as my main fields of experience is lighting & sound, however I do dabble at home. I would suggest that a PC or Mac based solution would be a better option for what you are trying to achieve. Record the service onto the PC, this will then allow you to edit out any unwanted footage and add titles etc. in post production.

However this would be a more significant cost than a stand alone recorder but would give you a lot more flexibility. Jigsaw Systems do some excellent solutions for computer based digital video.

Jigsaw Systems

Most churchs mix feeds live and master to tape or DV, then dupe off for the mailouts. If you want to do it post, then avid/premiere/final cut etc will do the rest for you. making a DVD is not simple, or quick, despite the advertising. Once you've actually got the edit done, it has to rendered - this can take a while if you've been a bit clever with effects, and then burnt to dvd. So the editing and burning of the master is NOT quick. An hour of proramme time will take at least double or triple the time to edit and burn in my experience - plus the file sizes are huge so you need big drives - 120 -250G ideally and a fast processor, bags of ram etc. One project I did two weeks ago was a 2hour show and it took 23 hrs to process the files in DV quality!

If you do it live, an old MX50 Panasonic, if you can get one is ideal as it will take in and sync y/c from a laptop running powerpoint, and mix in a couple of cameras, record onto one of the newish DVD recorders in real time - that's it, done - bung it in the copier!

p

I'd reckon theire are two options:

1) Use a DVD recorder, but mix the slides into the recorded stream- i.e. pc scan converted down then input to a mixer along with the camera feeds, cut live and recorded straight away. Probably easiest for getting straight to DVD, but will lack the polished finesse of an edited show.

2)Go along the Mac (or PC :blink: ) route. Get a G5 tower with a load of grunt and decent level of RAM (they'll take 8Gb) and use iMovie and iDVD to do the edit and the burn. They come as part of iLife and cost £49. This will allow you to edit and burn a DVD easily. iDVD gives good results easily, as does iMovie. for a higher level try Final Cut Express HD and DVD Studio but they cost more.

You'll need plenty of drive space as mentioned. MiniDV quality comes in at about 13Gb per hour I believe, plus then the render files too- Rendering is the process of converting the edited file from MiniDV/DVCam etc to the MPEG file that the DVD players can read.

Plus then theirs the thoughts of +/- variants on the DVD front, with some machines only being able to read one type or the other.

Just my thoughts.

Little DJ

I reckon you can do it cheaper than that....

If you have an old monitor and keyboard somewhere, you could get a:

Mac Mini 1.42Ghz w 80mb HD

+ 256mb Ram (Total 512mb)

+Superdrive (DVD Burner)

which includes iLife, for iDVD and iMovie

All for £519.01

Which is nearly the spec of my Powerbook before I pimped the RAM up some more, and that ran iMovie and iDVD fine. (I added RAM for Final Cut Pro, which is a mite greedier.)

If you're strict about what the machine is used for and delete projects once they're finished, then 80GB will do you for 1hr or so DVDs

Although the rendering, as mentioned, is a b***h. Best to set it going and come back tomorrow in many cases.

£519.01, and it'll do a hell of a lot more beside burn DVDs.

(PS: Superdrives read copy-protected CDs, too...although I didn't tell you that.... :blink: )

Edit: For Kate: Rendering is the process where the computer processes the image information into a usable form. It's also known as time to get a cup of tea or in extreme cases, some sleep...

If you do it live, an old MX50 Panasonic, if you can get one is ideal as it will take in and sync y/c from a laptop running powerpoint, and mix in a couple of cameras, record onto one of the newish DVD recorders in real time - that's it, done - bung it in the copier!

p

If you go this route, I would recommend that you do indeed use a laptop with TV out, or a graphics card with TV out, rather than a scan convertor. Most of the cheap scan convertors that I have seen are rubbish, with the good ones starting at $1,000+...... :blink:

This would be the easiest solution to you... if you need all the inputs of the vision mixer during the service however, you could either connect the PC straight to the DVD recorder before the service, start recording the titles, and pause the recorder till the service starts, or use a home theatre selection switch thing to add more 'inputs' to your mixer.

Regards

David

At a venue I use they have gone down the G5 route and it seems to work well.

They have a fully speced G5 tower. They edit all of there stuff on Final Cut Pro and then they burn it onto DVD. No idea how long it takes but it all works very neatly!!

However budget wasn't a massive issue!!

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
Why not just get a cheap PC, record the service to tape, then record it onto the PC in Windows Movie Maker? You can add all the slides and transitions you like anywhere in the service. Then use a burning program such as Nero to burn it onto DVD.

Archived