DJ song request system

dmoorcroft

Hi All,

One of the venues I work in is a small club venue (1200 cap) and we'd like to give the customers the option of requesting songs for the DJ to play.

The system would probably have to be based upon a "texting" system - we'd ideally like one screen (projector) to show any requests/shoutouts etc and a screen for the DJ to see what's been requested. Ideally there would be a way of moderating messages/requests before they're "sent" to the main screen.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to the most cost effective way of doing this (we already posess enough screens, projectors etc)

Cheers,

We used a product that I believe was called textcube to do this. Unfortunately Googling doesn't seem to be able to find it.

A google has however found "firetext" which seems to meet your requirements and may be worth looking into - http://www.firetext.com

Haven't used that product so can't offer any more on it than saying it looks like it will do the job though. Sorry!

Are there really club DJ's that take requests now? Mobile disco yes but real DJ's, I just cannot imagine it.

Firetext will do text to screen but you do realise you need to intercept and moderate the texts and what will you do when the DJ gets furious and starts playing Monty Python's Greatest Hits?

we'd like to give the customers the option of requesting songs for the DJ to play.

Just as long as you also give the DJs the option of saying 'No, I'm going to play what I like'. It sounds like an interesting project, but it could get boring if the regulars keep requesting the same old tunes.

A google has however found "firetext" which seems to meet your requirements and may be worth looking into - http://www.firetext.com

I have used firetext, and it would work fairly well for this application.

You could do the song request in a couple of ways, either a text poll (if you have an idea of say 5 songs you would like to play - and the audience choose which one) or they can text in a song they want to request. Using the filters on the software, you could set it up so they need to text REQUEST followed by there song, and this could show up in a different colour etc.

Are there really club DJ's that take requests now? Mobile disco yes but real DJ's, I just cannot imagine it.

Firetext will do text to screen but you do realise you need to intercept and moderate the texts and what will you do when the DJ gets furious and starts playing Monty Python's Greatest Hits?

Actually it depends what kind of nightclub it is. I used to be one of the dj residents at The Venue in New Cross Gate, and the music policy there was all party / cheese and disco 70's - present day. People just used to come up to the dj box and ask for tunes. We didnt need to over complicate things by introducing a text system etc.

I wouldnt want to have to keep reading a monitor or such anyway. Besides, with all the regulars, you knew what they wanted anyway!!!

When Im playing in a 'proper' dance club abroad or UK, you wouldnt normally get requests!! In most cases the dj box is high enough out of the way to be pesterd by people luckily!!

IMO, Whether the DJ takes requests or not depends on the night.

For example, on our regular Friday commercial night, or our weekday nights in the smaller venues, where the emphasis is more on playing songs that people know and love than having a set emphasising your prowess as a DJ, we generally allow requests. Customer asks lampy standing near the door to the booth, lampy writes it down, DJ either laughs at the request or plays it.

However, on our Saturday themed events, or on events where we have a "name" DJ in, then no requests.

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're after, but would it be possible to use a live Twitter feed? For example, punters could tweet their message/song request with a hash-tag (i.e. #[club name]SongRequest), and then this could go to a live feed on the screen.

As far as I'm aware, there is a bit of software out there (it might be a twitter widget) that fetches a feed from twitter, and then allows you to moderate the tweets before them being displayed in the main output feed. If I dreamt that, I'm either someone has made one (as it's quite a good idea) or someone would be willing to bodge one together!

Just a thought, as Twitter is becoming more and more popular (most of the people I know have Twitter), and it's also got the 'look' on posters etc. - like on the Apprentice on BBC, where in the titles at the beginning there's the #BBCApprentice.

Hope this helps! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Just found it actually (I wasn't dreaming!!), here:

http://churchm.ag/tidytweet-com-filtered-and-moderated-twitter-feed/

Oh, and after looking at the website, you can use 'TidyTweet' (in the previous link) with 'Visible Tweets' which then displays the tweets.... just been playing with it - it's pretty cool actually! Might use that one myself.... http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Add:

I have to say, I've been playing with 'Visible Tweets' (http://visibletweets.com/) (what you use to display the tweets) and it's VERY impressive - definitely worth looking at! Although TidyTweet seems pretty expensive... I'm sure there's a free version somewhere...

Edit to add again(!):

This could be of some use if you like the twitter idea:

http://rentalsblog.projector123.com/eventparty-planning/corporate-functions/display-twitter-live-at-a-conference-or-panel-with-moderation.php

Brian, picture Glastonbury Assembly Rooms, a really bangin' night with Astralasia, final DJ hour of madness and sweat, house lights come on full during 5 seconds of silence at the end, crew start bopping'n'boogying through a static mob howling for more, Every Sperm Is Sacred comes on full belt.

Took them 3 seconds to catch on then the place erupted. All go home grinnning like fools.

On millennium eve we had a private house party and four pro DJ's gave me the honour of the midnight set, I played Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life to begin the century.

a bit of background on the venue if it helps... its a students union venue, and a lot of the customers at the venue ask for the ability to make requests, and the DJ (Who is usually an in house person rather than a 'named act' lives up on the tech balcony along with the sound and lighting desks etc (its a multi use venue not a dedicated club) so customers cannot get close enough to ask him face to face

If it is only for punters to send song requests, what is wrong with a plain basic mobile, just publish the number all round the venue. half of the requests will be junk anyway and the dj will read them and as said earlier, either laugh or play or give a mention (if capable of speaking into a mic type DJ). No point putting any of that up on a screen for the audience.

If you want to send some of the stuff to the screen such as birthday dedications, most phones dedicated software links to a pc for sms communications. There may be software which can put that on a ticker along your screen but someone will have to vet everything to avoid false alarms, libel etc

Archived