Fake brick work

Hi,

I have been searching online to source fake brick work in 8x4 sheets. I have found a few but they are either wall paper or flimsy. The brick work needs to be stiff so not plastic as people will be touching it.

Does anyone know of a website or a place I can source some?

Cheers

Take a look at this recent thread. You say that the brickwork needs to not be plastic. Is this for a show or for a tour of some sort. I know that the York Dungeons uses these bricks around their tour. Yes they're plastic but the painted effect is really good. The thing is that if you want to make something "feel" real, normally it has to be real to get the right effect. Thankfully there are a great many ways to make things look real. I have a brick in my bedroom. Sponge, polyfiller and paint.

http://www.blue-room...=1

The Peter Evans Studio vacuum formed brickwork could probably be reinforced by back filling it with resin although this may make them quite heavy. It would be worth giving them a call as they may be able to advise on what products are available or even cast you a heavier gauge brick sheet than is the normal.

I have done a bit of Googling, as my drama group is looking to supplement our stock of Canfor Products (Canada) brick hardboard that used to be available from B&Q.

It seems that something similar is now available in the USA and it appears to be available in the UK here (see Brick Wallboards) and there may be other suppliers. If you don't mind black pointing it may be suitable. There does not seem to be quite the variation in brick colour that the Canfor boards offered.

I have not yet checked for prices.

I dont know if they still exist, but a few years ago we had the outside of our house "tiled" with brick tiles. These looked like 5mm slices of brick so would be lighter whilst still feeling like brick. I think they came from Wickes but I cant find them atm.

OK - questions, to maybe help us understand your situation.

In what way will people be touching these faux brickworks? Is it part of a permanent them-park type installation, or some audience participation theatre genre? How hardwearing does it have to be? Is the event/whatever a touring thing, or a one-off show at a fixed venue?

Bearing in mind that using that old-fashioned idea of 'suspension of disbelief' means that punters can be 'fooled' into thinking it's 'real' whilst in actual fact always KNOWING that it has to be false simply because it's theatre/art...

Peter Evans Studios started out making things in plaster, not plastic. They might be able to do plaster brick fronts, but an 8x4 sheet in plaster would be mightily heavy! In fact anything that feels like a brick would probably be rather heavy.

Perhaps experiment adding textured paint to the plastic products and bracing/in-filling the back so that it doesn't flex.

Hi We make 8 x 4 sheets of MDF brick pattern in 12mm mdf with a 6mm mortar line priced at £24 plus VAT

The lines are straight and symetrical but for a natural look many of our clients take to the panel with an angle gringer and a soft disc and

sand off the edges in a random style ....

the boards are unfinished but we can give tips on painting for a good faux look

nigel@purpletechnical.co.uk

If you look on the Peter Evans website it says that they also can produce the sheets from:-

"Plaster, Hessian backed. We use a mixture of high street plasters and it is mainly used for rock faces, brick work and stone walls in Pubs, Clubs and Restaurants. It is in the highest category of fire retardancy. It is also used by some traditionalists who like to use it for film scenery. Normally white.

GRP (Glass reinforced plastic also known as Fibre Glass). This is a mixture of glass matt and polyester resin. This is the toughest and most durable material that we use and it is suitable for most of the things we make including outside use except anything that needs to be clear."

Although these are more expensive than the thin Vaccum formed sheets.

Luke

"Mr Blaber" (I would call you by name but that's all you've provided in your profile...)

In order to get the most accurate responses, it's best to provide as much information in your original post as you can.

In this instance you had people suggesting a few different options, but these are clearly not suitable to you as you want something "as realistic as possible". These people have wasted their time and may not respond to you in the future in case they are again, wasting their time.

Just saying :)

David

We had "Footloose The Musical" come into us not long ago, and part of their set was a fake wall, I assumed it was painted, It looked "Real", but it was Wallpaper. (Apparently, quite cheap!) Might be an idea to look at.

Archived