Slip Rings

Brian

Has anyone found a low-volume source of small slip-ring assemblies? I'm looking for something like a 3-way unit which will pass 12v at 100mA or so.

I can find plenty of bigger units and plenty of OEM units in higher volumes.

I think the ones on my radar are a little overkill! Do you need a flat plate slip ring with concentric rings, or a drum type with "bands" around its' circumference? Ours is a drum type. If you had access to a pcb etching tank I reckon you could make a flat plate one with some clever artwork and maybe a lathe to finish it off. Brushes could just be drill type, but I've had success with the contacts from the really old servo type remote control car speed controllers - they're a sprung copper strip with a bobble at the end as the contact.

Not sure if anyone has come up with a reasonably priced one but when we were doing raves we had to make up our own for 12V inflatables, spinning screens and gizmo's.

Drill brushes, Scalextric bits, copper washers of various size, that sort of thing.

Thanks David, the AliExpress ones look good. Do you have any experience of using AliExpress?

I'd thought about doing something with drill brushes etc. Even hacking about some DC motors as then I'd have a bearing assembly as well.

Do you have any experience of using AliExpress?

Not a slip ring related response, but I've used AliExpress for component parts (solenoids) and for large quantities of things like torches and fairy lights for sets without any problems. No more unreliable than buying from the East on eBay - just slow delivery times.

Archived