Getting into Theatre

That's a pretty important fact - and doesn't make much sense. Scotland is pretty big, so you're looking at leaving home and surviving on your own, so why be restrictive on where? Plenty of unis are in less expensive parts of the country - and make sense to consider.

On the BBC this morning they were looking at unemployment in the North East, and although unemployment is high, they have a real shortage of engineers - no reported shortage of Technical Theatre people!

Having just taken my daughter for auditions at the RSAMD (Conservatoire now) in Glasgow, and mentioned it around and abouts, I was told by a couple of Blue Roomers that the campus has extremely well equipped technical facilities, so maybe worth looking at them if you don't want to move south of the border....

E2A - Of course, had your profile been correctly completed we'd already have known you were in Bonnie Scotia...

:D

That's a pretty important fact - and doesn't make much sense. Scotland is pretty big, so you're looking at leaving home and surviving on your own, so why be restrictive on where? Plenty of unis are in less expensive parts of the country - and make sense to consider.

On the BBC this morning they were looking at unemployment in the North East, and although unemployment is high, they have a real shortage of engineers - no reported shortage of Technical Theatre people!

Its really only because I can't afford the fees and obviously they're free in Scotland. I would consider moving anywhere at all for work!!

Having just taken my daughter for auditions at the RSAMD (Conservatoire now) in Glasgow, and mentioned it around and abouts, I was told by a couple of Blue Roomers that the campus has extremely well equipped technical facilities, so maybe worth looking at them if you don't want to move south of the border....

E2A - Of course, had your profile been correctly completed we'd already have known you were in Bonnie Scotia...

:D

Yeah, I am considering that, I was just trying to get an idea as to whether that would be better or worse than an electrical engineering degree. An sorry about the profile, I didn't even realise!! I shall endeavour to fix it now :)

I can't make any suggestions as I don't know you or anything about you but I will comment based on that Audio Visual course you were contemplating.

We have many Vidiots on here and at least one who owns his own AV hire company. He has a degree in civil engineering. That's all, just a thought, there are more ways to skin a cat than with a sledgehammer.

You sound like a very sensible young chap JC+. I would add that you are not really restricted to doing electronics though. Have you considered the mechanical engineering side of degrees?

Given that Scotland has the odd rig floating around in the N Sea there must be no end of opportunities for studying mech eng.

Plus, if you get to grips with structures there would seem to be a definite vacancy for folk who understand "the truss structure in an all weather outdoor environment...and how to keep it looking like a structure and not a pile of scrap alloy".

And someone has to design the "new" theatres (well, hopefully) or sort out their refurbishment or design the engineering behind the scenes, or design an un-topple-able (sp) tallescope.

You sound like a very sensible young chap JC+. I would add that you are not really restricted to doing electronics though. Have you considered the mechanical engineering side of degrees?

Given that Scotland has the odd rig floating around in the N Sea there must be no end of opportunities for studying mech eng.

Plus, if you get to grips with structures there would seem to be a definite vacancy for folk who understand "the truss structure in an all weather outdoor environment...and how to keep it looking like a structure and not a pile of scrap alloy".

And someone has to design the "new" theatres (well, hopefully) or sort out their refurbishment or design the engineering behind the scenes, or design an un-topple-able (sp) tallescope.

Thanks, I hadn't really thought of that side before :)

Its really only because I can't afford the fees and obviously they're free in Scotland. I would consider moving anywhere at all for work!!

At the time, and until you earn a decent salary afterwards, they are free in England too! A student loan (from the Student Loan Company) isn't like a mortgage or personal loan - you pay based on salary not based on amount outstanding.

T

ETA: And if you end up with a theatre tech job afterwards, you won't be paying anything back quickly - the normal salary (as far as I've seen) for a full-time starter in a regional theatre is c.£15k, which is below the repayment threshold.

Archived