Getting into Theatre

Hi,

I really want to get into tech theatre or stage management. The trouble I'm having is the decide whether to do a BA in Technical and Production Arts: Management and Technology or to do a BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and get into it that way. Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be best?

My reasoning is that by doing TPA I'd make contacts in the industry, but when I qualify I'm bound to theatre. If I did EEE then I wouldn't have the industry specific knowledge, but I'd have the whole field of electrical engineering to fall back on if theatre work was hard to come by.

Also, does anyone have any advice on compiling a portfolio for getting into TPA? I'm in fourth year at school right now, so I have plenty of time to get plenty of stuff to put into it..... if only I knew what kind of stuff they were looking for!!

Thanks

Joe

If you can do EEE, then do EEE. As you say, you'll have a career to fall back on and be able to apply that to theatre.

Also, whatever Uni you choose, chances are there will be opportunities to volunteer to do technical for SU events or the Theatre Society's shows, this may be a better way for you if you can do that. I believe there is a member on here who's doing EEE at Sheffield and also doing technical on the side.

On the other hand, you could look at a more electronics based performance technology course. There's one at Derby that's quite good (Cough Cough) :P

Josh

If you have an aptitude for Electrical and Electronic Engineering - I'd suggest that your skills will be worth an awful lot more than being another theatre person looking for a job! Real engineers with the physics and maths can still do theatre, in fact, a BEng, and amateur theatre experience could be a really nice combination. How many times on here do we say "consult an engineer before proceeding" Wouldn't it be good to be that person!

Just finishing a Technical Theatre course myself - Go for the EEE.

Where were you thinking of studying? Most universities have a student's union venue, or a theatre on campus, where you can work, earn money, and learn the ways of the theatre while studying. Of my friends, the ones with Electrical Engineering backgrounds are the ones who are graduating and finding jobs that are more than just crewing or casualling, and earning from it. You're more valuable to a company or theatre if you can repair equipment competently, and while a Tech Theatre course covers the basics of this, you get a far more detailed understanding through an EEE course. In some cases, they'll allow you to focus on the audio side of things too, so shop around for a course that allows you to do modules like that.

If I could jump back 3 years, I would've chosen differently - put it that way. However, if you feel you'd be more happy surrounded by theatre 24/7, then go for a Tech Theatre course.

+1 to a EEE course. I'm really enjoying mine, although there is a lot of maths (I was excellent at maths at GCSE, and quite good at A-level, but even after that the amount of maths seems a little excessive). I have found that my degree seems to teach you about a lot of stuff that's applicable to the audio world- filters, amplifiers, speakers, etc even though it's a general EEE course. I looked at York which has a studio element, but decided to go to Sheffield because it was a better course, with better facilities. I didn't find out until I got there, however, how excellent our Technical Services Committee is.

Engineering degree anytime. Do the degree and get some union based events experience. As an elec engineer you will earn enough to play am dram whenever you want. Now after your degree you could move into the technical side of power, audio, control, networking, etc. You would have the tech skill to cope and some am dram/union ents work would clue you in to a good job.

I have a BA against my name and I would much rather have a BEng against it. Engineering degrees are far more valuable than BAs which nowadays are handed out like condoms at the chemist.

That said, are you sure you're going to University because that's the best way forward? Or do you want to go to university because you're 18 and that's what everyone else does any you haven't got any ideas of what else you could do? If it's the latter, I'd really be tempted to hold on and have a look around. The amount of money they're charing for university now, plus student-area rent prices, and the general cost of living; you may find that the following 36 months working for a local crew company works out cheaper (IE make money not spend it) and more beneficial for a long term career.

Looking at a Uni course, have you chatted to your subject tutors and careers staff at school/college. The basic diference between the enginering course and the arts course is the maths content. IF you will do the maths easily then get the engineering degree and see whether you can go on industrial placements thick sandwich or thin sandwich. Sandwich courses are better for your employability and for your funding, you should earn money during your sandwich placement, and by graduation you will have a year or so of real current industrial experience which is hugely valuable. Employers pick up a new (hence cheap) graduate with a whole year's experience so they are valuable and good value.

Looking at a Uni course, have you chatted to your subject tutors and careers staff at school/college. The basic diference between the enginering course and the arts course is the maths content. IF you will do the maths easily then get the engineering degree and see whether you can go on industrial placements thick sandwich or thin sandwich. Sandwich courses are better for your employability and for your funding, you should earn money during your sandwich placement, and by graduation you will have a year or so of real current industrial experience which is hugely valuable. Employers pick up a new (hence cheap) graduate with a whole year's experience so they are valuable and good value.

To be honest, the careers advisers don't really know what they're talking about as soon as you mention something out of the ordinary, and most are pretty quick to dismiss any theatre jobs. I'm thinking I'll probably talk to the Faculty Head of Drama because he will probably have the best ideas, and maybe even some contacts I can use.

I'm on my first year of BSc(Hons) Sound, Light and Live Event Technology at Derby Uni. Two of the tutors are on here (Simon Lewis and Kit Lane) so I'm sure they can add to this too. I really like the course, it's interesting, caters to Theatre more than you'd think from the title and shares a couple of modules with EEE.

It touches upon most areas of technical work IMO. There's plenty of hands on time with kit (not the person :P ) and a good balance between that and theory in most cases.

Check it out.

Josh

To be fair, unless the people you speak to really understand the current jobs market in our area, you'd be better talking to the employers. Some may really quite like the idea of giving career guidance as it applies to them? worth a go?

That sounds like an idea. Any recommendations of these 'employers'?

I'm on my first year of BSc(Hons) Sound, Light and Live Event Technology at Derby Uni. Two of the tutors are on here (Simon Lewis and Kit Lane) so I'm sure they can add to this too. I really like the course, it's interesting, caters to Theatre more than you'd think from the title and shares a couple of modules with EEE.

It touches upon most areas of technical work IMO. There's plenty of hands on time with kit (not the person :P ) and a good balance between that and theory in most cases.

Check it out.

Josh

That course looks ideal, but I can't really afford to study anywhere out with Scotland.

Archived