intriguing term in education document

WiLL

Ok, so one of the drama teachers has just shown me a document which she received as a teaching aid example from the education board.

On it were a couple of terms applied to lighting which I'd never come across before and I was wondering if anyone else had or wether the people who generated the document were just making it up.

The sentence was a summary of (I think) the choice of colour pallettes that the student designer was working from, it read like this:

Novel (the use of yellow gel to give the appearance of being old ) & Adaptation (Bright White gel) for contrast.

I think I know what they intend it to mean, but I've never used those terms before, leaving aside the fact that I would never say 'white gel' that's paper in my book.

So, familiar to anyone out there?

Surely it a bit like using the word "hoover" to describe a vacuum cleaner. It is the most famous historically but there are now other types of colour filter and not the highly flammable gelatine version of the past, that does not stop me saying gel :)

Surely it a bit like using the word "hoover" to describe a vacuum cleaner. It is the most famous historically but there are now other types of colour filter and not the highly flammable gelatine version of the past, that does not stop me saying gel :)

It's been called gel everywhere I've been, or once simply 'colour', never heard it called filter ..

Bright white gel is indeed an interesting description though ;)

Never heard it called 'Filter'? That's odd as Lee used to be called Lee Filters, and their website uses the term quite a lot!, Our gel is in the section called colour filter.

filter

Filter is more accurate the gel too - which is of course a slang expression, as it's not been made with gelatine for years.

I'm happy with gel or filter, lantern or luminaire and even inches and metric. Bright white might be a bit inappropriate though?

Should it not also say Colour Filters rather than gels, I was always pulled up on the term gel when I worked in mainstream theatre.

See the wiki discription no mention of coloured filter for stage lighting 'Gel'

PJ

Well, of course Wikipedia doesn't know everything...

but the disambiguation section does refer to the use of "gel" in the world of entertainment, although the contributor clearly doesn't quite understand its purpose.

Of course "colour filter" is what they call it at Lee or Rosco (other manufacturers are available)because that is what it does, but "gel" is pretty ubiquitous and perfectly acceptable, along with "colour".

Archived