Active Speakers £400

jstarraw86

Hi There peoples!! I DJ for my friends and family parties just as a hobby really but don't know a lot about the equipment, I'm looking at buying some new Active speakers on a budget of around £400 any ideas what I can get for that?

Thanks in advance

J :)

Hi,

Your budget is crazily tight for what you're looking for. An example of a rig you could buy would be the box PA110A x2 with a single SB115A subwoofer which is available from Thomann. Other good brands to look at include DBtech, Yamaha, and LD systems. Alternatively you could consider buying Mackie SRM350s or RCF Arts second hand.

If your just doing this as as hobby then the box kit from thomann should do you fine. It's not the best sounding nor the best built but on a budget it's cheap and comes with a 3 year warranty.

You just need to make sure you don't buy speakers under rated for the volumes and venues you play at, as you will push then too far and blow them.

Budget wise, you could easily spend your £400 on a single speaker. As for second hand equipment you could look at jbl eon 15's but you'll be hard pushed to find any in your budget.

Pair of the Behringer B212D - not too heavy, sound OK. But don't expect huge bass, or the ability to do large rooms.

Like others have said, you could spend many times this! For example, my ART 722As for "easy out & about work" are just under £1k each, and you can add the same again for ART 705A subs - so around £4k for speakers! While many pros would turn their nose up at my rig, many more would think that it's brilliant.

The Behringers are way down the spectrum, but for disco work should deliver what you need. With your budget you could even get a pair of the B215Ds new - a *little* more output and a little more bass extension which you'd probably appreciate.

B212D 125dB@1m, 65Hz-20kHz, 14.5kg

B215D 126dB@1m, 55Hz-20kHz, 20.5kg

Behringer Eurolive B215D currently on thomann for £204 each - enough bass for any mid disco ability you will have for a while - we have a pair and the sound from whilst probably not the greatest, is fine for some loud dance music.

If your on the west coast of Scotland your welcome to come play

I'd advise a second hand pair of dB technologies Opera Live 405, a 15"/1" design which produce 129db on paper. I think these sound a little nicer than Mackie srm450's which are also an option.

You should be able to pick these, a pair of stands & 2 XLR cables up for pretty much exactly your £400 budget.

At the hobby level you'll be cool with those!

Pair of the Behringer B212D - not too heavy, sound OK. But don't expect huge bass, or the ability to do large rooms.

Like others have said, you could spend many times this! For example, my ART 722As for "easy out & about work" are just under £1k each, and you can add the same again for ART 705A subs - so around £4k for speakers! While many pros would turn their nose up at my rig, many more would think that it's brilliant.

The Behringers are way down the spectrum, but for disco work should deliver what you need. With your budget you could even get a pair of the B215Ds new - a *little* more output and a little more bass extension which you'd probably appreciate.

I dont think he needs to know about what you have. Just best for the cash he has. I would look for better grade used but it is a gamble.

I dont think he needs to know about what you have. Just best for the cash he has. I would look for better grade used but it is a gamble.

Slightly harsh, as I was just trying to put things into realistic perspective. And then did go on to give what I hoped was helpful information. Good used kit is great, but depends on you having the time/patience/attitude to risk to get the right result

Hey, another train of thought, why not get some passive boxes and a power amp? Something like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pa_252_eco_mkii_e800_set.htm

A friend I know DJ's with them with good results, up to about 100 people. Not hugely loud, but very acceptable, especially at that budget!

Big and heavy! The cabs are 35kg each, plus another 11.5kg for the amp (for which you'd probably be wanting to add a case). Not necessarily a problem if a van is available. Small, light, active cabs really win out for those folk who have only a regular car to transport their gear.

Big and heavy! The cabs are 35kg each, plus another 11.5kg for the amp (for which you'd probably be wanting to add a case). Not necessarily a problem if a van is available. Small, light, active cabs really win out for those folk who have only a regular car to transport their gear.

35kg isn't that heavy! And you'd only be putting them on top of some beer crates, so no need for stands.

It would be easy to fit them in a car. I drive a Polo hatchback and they fit! Or is putting seats down to turn the back of a car into a loading area a forgotten art? :)

35kg isn't that heavy! And you'd only be putting them on top of some beer crates, so no need for stands.

It would be easy to fit them in a car. I drive a Polo hatchback and they fit! Or is putting seats down to turn the back of a car into a loading area a forgotten art? :)

Another plus one for the DB 405s. I regularly DJ'd with them and they've got a good range for DJ music. Brand new you can get them for around £600 a pair (my kit included XLRs and stands in the price).

And they weigh about 20Kg each if that, are twice as powerful as the T Amp in the bundle linked above. I'd take 40Kg over 80Kg any day.

Archived