Active Speakers £400

jstarraw86

Another plus one for the DB 405s. I regularly DJ'd with them and they've got a good range for DJ music. Brand new you can get them for around £600 a pair (my kit included XLRs and stands in the price).

And they weigh about 20Kg each if that, are twice as powerful as the T Amp in the bundle linked above. I'd take 40Kg over 80Kg any day.

That's a cracking price for them! Where did you get them? Do you have a link? I would agree in that case, but I only found them for about 400gbp a piece! We're both on about the opera 405 by db technologies, yeah?

Edit: I think I'm thinking of the newer ones with the Digital amps, the older ones are becoming hard to find, I've noticed.

35kg isn't that heavy! And you'd only be putting them on top of some beer crates, so no need for stands.

It would be easy to fit them in a car. I drive a Polo hatchback and they fit! Or is putting seats down to turn the back of a car into a loading area a forgotten art? :)

Everything is too heavy! Granted, big touring gear would laugh at those kind of weights. But, given a choice between 18kg cabs and 35kg cabs - which would you choose? (Especially when the smaller, lighter ones are louder and sound better!) The only drawback is that you have to pay for the privilege.

And the speakers may fit into a car, but what else needs to go in there? I have a load of other band gear to fit, and my small/light speakers are what make the job workable for me - and that's in a bigger Vectra.

All of which comes back to the fact that there are all sorts of costs, weights, sizes, and qualities as options for this particular role.

So, back to the original poster. The request was for active speakers in the £400 area, and there have been a few proposals, both new & used. No indication was needed over how small/portable they need to be, though it was indicated that it was more for hobby use.

Everything is too heavy! Granted, big touring gear would laugh at those kind of weights. But, given a choice between 18kg cabs and 35kg cabs - which would you choose? (Especially when the smaller, lighter ones are louder and sound better!) The only drawback is that you have to pay for the privilege.

And the speakers may fit into a car, but what else needs to go in there? I have a load of other band gear to fit, and my small/light speakers are what make the job workable for me - and that's in a bigger Vectra.

All of which comes back to the fact that there are all sorts of costs, weights, sizes, and qualities as options for this particular role.

So, back to the original poster. The request was for active speakers in the £400 area, and there have been a few proposals, both new & used. No indication was needed over how small/portable they need to be, though it was indicated that it was more for hobby use.

Well I used to use 35kg cabs over my Ev Stage Sound 200's because they wiped the floor with them! Though they were a 15, 10 and a horn all in one box. The Dynacord Cp15-3's are a beast of a cab!

I digress, I recommended the power amp + speaker set up since I've heard it in person as opposed to recommending something that I had never heard. The only other item I would suggest are the thomann active 502's, but they're a hefty 30kg... I have heard them in the flesh as well though, so I could also recommend them.

Having said all that, 2nd hand would also be a route to consider.

Archived