Simple Software

Mat-eboy

Can anybody recommend some simple, entry level software for theatrical lighting design?

This IS a serious reply.

The best entry level design package you can start with is an A3 pad of paper (possibly even graph/squared paper), some sharp pencils and a decent ruler.

Maybe some coloured pencils for coding the symbols, and if you can get hold of one, a stencil with basic lantern shapes.

You WILL learn far more about design from this method as a beginner without having to first learn how to use a CAD package.

I've got to agree with Tony here, I still find myself using paper and scribbles to get a point across.

Even if you don't use the "proper" symbols, as long as you use a key to say what shape is what lantern, it's all good. You could use a sheep for a Par64 and a Dog for a Profile if you so wished.

Josh

Thanks for the advice.

A similar question: If I wanted to use a laptop rather than a desk to pre-program and control my cues, what would be a simple, entry-level piece of software for me to look at? Chamsys MagicQ?

If you are going to produce lots of plans, then a computer is great for repetition, but if it's a one off, then a ruler and pens is great - and those chemistry template symbols you can get from stationers shops work really well for the various types of lantern.

I rarely use pens nowadays, but that's because I've got all the symbols and shapes and the ground plans for venues I work in frequently already in the machine. When presented with a new venue, and just creating, I use a bit of paper and a pen first. If these work, and I need to keep changing things, then a computer version makes sense.

I use serif draw - it's quick simple and I know it well. Others love auto cad - this just is too complex for me (but in reality, I'm probably just too lazy to start from scratch and learn it!

Chamsys MagicQ is a great one to learn, it scales up to world class lighting desks with just hardware changes. If you just want to pre-program for a hardware desk you've got in a venue, most manufacturers have an offline editor available for their desks.

Josh

Can anybody recommend some simple, entry level software for theatrical lighting design?

This IS a serious reply.

The best entry level design package you can start with is an A3 pad of paper (possibly even graph/squared paper), some sharp pencils and a decent ruler.

Maybe some coloured pencils for coding the symbols, and if you can get hold of one, a stencil with basic lantern shapes.

You WILL learn far more about design from this method as a beginner without having to first learn how to use a CAD package.

Absolutly, it may seem a bit disappointing but is the best way to start every gig unless you do one weekly and are constantly using cad.

Then plug it into a cheap/free visulizer to get a rough idea of what it's going to look like and if you're a programer, program sceens. Once you have designed a few rigs via that method advance to cad and intergrated visulizer/control.

Archived