Cheap radio mics

jamlucas

Hello,

Sorry this has probably been asked loads of times, a friend of mine has asked me to get hold of some cheap radio mics (as cheap as possible)

We're looking for 6 sets of hand helds and head mics. in the past we have worked for companies that use Audio technicas and the shure pgx24.

anybody got an idea of any decent budget mics? or anywhere thats got any deals going on 6?

Thanks

Some more information would help... PGX isn't Shure's cheapest mic, so what do you class as "cheap"? Furthermore, if you want HH and headset mics, you'll need bodypack transmitters in addition to the handhelds. You may find some hybrid offerings (HH+bodypack sold together) but many of the very cheap systems are a package - you buy the receiver as well.

Lastly, 6 channels... getting six to work together with the very cheapest systems may be a challenge. Unless you buy some of the more modern (and expensive) units, you won't get six working in the free to use spectrum 863.1 - 864.9MHz, so you will have to have a licence.

So - can you give some idea of budget etc. ?

And sadly for you, the adage "You get what you pay for" is definitely true with gear like radio mics.

The budget end of the market will undoubtedly give you problems from the off.

Breakthrough between channels, interference to and from other RF equipment in the area (including stuff you may not think HAS an RF component, and dodgy build quality to mention but a few.

Oh, and yes - this HAS been discussed ad nauseam on many occasions in the forum.

Can I suggest you either use the search box or even trawl through the sound forum in general...?

If you want 6 cheap mics then a starting point would be either the Trantec s4.16 on Channel 38 (paid for license required) or the Line 6 XD-v35. Both of these have their limitations and challenges, although they are likely the cheapest possible 6 way solution. There's also the new sennheiser XS series which should work in this application. Although I just priced up the Trantec option with 6 of each transmitters and you're looking at about 2.5k plus the headset mics. The line 6 solution is about £2k plus headsets, so neither option is particularly cheap.

Depends on your application.

Now if we're talking use in a pub, or just a school assembly then the 'DJ' end of the market might be OK.

I have a couple of sets of Kam handhelds for school assemblies. For six (and no licence) you would need 4 UHF and 2 VHF (or visa-versa). The Kams are near enough disposable at the price, which may be a consideration. A twin head will cost around £100

Next up is the Trantec 4.4 (Sennheiser Freeport), an excellent UHF system for a tiny amount of money (approx £130 each). Not sure what the equivalent VHF would be though?

Others have already mentioned other options that involve licensing and better quality.

(as cheap as possible)

We're looking for 6 sets of hand helds and head mics.

Presumably if you are after these systems "as cheap as possible" you will not want the burden of ongoing licence fees.

This means that you will have to split your systems between the licence-free UHF and VHF bands. Whilst you can get four systems running in Channel 70, this space is likely to get increasingly crowded as users are forced to move out of Channel 69. It might be wise to have only a couple of systems running in Channel 70 and the rest in VHF, especially if you are in an urban location with other potential users nearby.

Look carefully at the VHF deregulated band -licence free and around 175MHz, but be carefull of the cheapest offerings as in the available band some manufacturers get five usable frequencies, others get four and the cheapest market offerings only get TWO -and these can break into each other after some use.

With radio mics there IS a direct correlation between what you pay and what you get. In either the VHF or the UHF licence free band you could need several options to avoid interference from other potential users nearby.

I think it likely that the new users of cleared space inc the old UHF deregulated radio mic band, having paid big money for the space, will guard it carefully against intrusion.

Beware of the boot sale bargains too! I saw some radio mics for £7 yes seven pounds! BUT they transmitted in the civil air band which these days could get you locked up on terrorist charges. It was an odd thing that looked vaguely like a SM57, with an antenna plugged in the XLR it radiated RF, with a lead plugged in the XLR it worked as a wired mic (whether it also stil radiated RF who knows?).

On a related topic, and talking of licences, I am looking for a decent single (handheld) radio mic to keep on the shelf for odd jobs, which I would like to use on the licence free part of chan 70.

When I need a set of mics for a show I hire them in, making use of the hire company's licence, but I am finding more and more times when a customer just wants a single mic without worrying about cables etc.

My first thought was a Trantec s4.4, but it seems that decent mics are starting to become available second hand due to the DSO, so a second hand Sennheiser G2 seems to be the way forward.

Long story short, do I need a JFMG licence to own/buy a mic that CAN transmit on chan 69, even if I have no intention of doing so? I have searched the forums, but have found no answer.

Not sure if this should have been a new topic - sorry!

Thanks

I must admit to wondering about the wording of what we treat as fact, compared with the the legislation.

The old Wireless telegraphy Act, that's been replaced with new versions, used to have something along these lines:

It is an offence under the Act to have in your possession radio transmitting equipment for which a license is not available.

As soon as channel 69 is made properly off limits, then if you were found with equipment simply capable of working there, then under the old interpretation you would have broken the law, and the equipment could be seized. This is how they seize pirate radio kit. You can't get a license, so they can take it away from you.

Googling these words or similar brings up a few instances - including some I wrote elsewhere, but I can't find it in the new legislation, although finding exact phrases in the acts is pretty difficult - made worse by the euro stuff.

If the band directly below channel 70 is for emergency use, then it makes spreading out of channel 70 even worse. Anyone who causes interference will be properly in trouble!

I have now spoken to JFMG, who have confirmed (verbally) that as far as they are concerned there are no issues buying or using mics CAPABLE of transmitting in channel 69, as long as they are not used in that band, on pain of prosecution.

This makes sense, as almost any mic could in theory be set outside of the licenced bands, and it is the user's responsibility to work within the law.

The old Wireless telegraphy Act, that's been replaced with new versions, used to have something along these lines:

It is an offence under the Act to have in your possession radio transmitting equipment for which a license is not available.

Back in my much younger days, I had an interest in building miniature radio transmitters - matchbox type size. I bought a few books and read as much as I could on the subject. What seemed to be the case then was that it was legal to buy, sell and own such transmitters (they generally tended to work in the 88 - 108MHz band) but not to actually use them. In some parts of the world there were people selling kits minus one vital (but easily obtained) component in order to try to avoid issues of selling equipment that they shouldn't.

In any case, what Rob_P says makes sense - if you're touring with co-ordinated frequencies in each venue for example, you might be using different frequencies every week depending on the local RF environment. You use it on the frequencies you're licensed for in any particular venue and then change them for a different set for the next that wouldn't have been legal in the previous.

Archived