Miniscan LED conversion

gyro_gearloose

have you got around to trying them at 1000mA?

Not yet, but I'll be converting another of my Miniscans soon and running that at 1000mA, so I'll be able to compare it to the first Miniscan that I converted. If its significantly brighter and doesn't get noticeably warmer then I'll change the first one I built to 1000mA instead of 800mA.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the idea of this. Have you got a how to? Is there a kit that can be bought? I have 8ish mini scanns that would be great to mod just dont have the time. If I could buy it as a kit and get it shipped to me that would be great.

• 1 year later...
Would you be interested in converting some Martin Roboscan to LED for me. They have metal halide 403w/24 Osram bulbs that are a staggering £350 each. I have 8 and would like to get them fired up again. Hope to hear from you soon.

Which Roboscans have you got? I thought they only used 250 and 575 Watt lamps? Whichever they are it shouldn't be too hard to convert them to LED, there's just more space in the bigger 918. The only tricky bit will be the lack of condensing optics in the Roboscans. My Miniscans had an aspheric and a convex lens next to the lamp, which I kept when I converted to LED. These lenses collect more of the light than a simple reflector will, especially from an LED as all of the light gets projected forwards. I can certainly have a look at converting your Roboscans to LED. Let me know which model you have (812, 518, or 918) and how bright you'd like to go and we can go from there.

Hi mate, they are Martin Roboscan 1016, and have 403w/24 metal halide bulbs with igniters, I guess at 403 watts. The bulbs are £350 each alone. I am not as clued up as you on the optics side, so am slightly unsure which will be best, and have just inherited them in a club I have taken over so never seen them in action, I would welcome your advise for the best results! I have tested all the supply's etc and they are working with power etc to all ignitors as they should. I just thought they needed new bulbs, and after discovering the cost realised why they were never fitted. I await your advise. Thanks. Alex.

Hi

I've had a look at the photos and its completely clear where the original lamp fits. It looks like the two motors under the red connector might get in the way of an LED and its heatsink. Where is the lamps reflector? Also, I can see what looks like the ballast and ignitor for the lamp, but where is the power supply for the electronics? Could you take some more more photos of the lights, especially where the original lamp sits?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
No, but I did build convert another Miniscan so I've got two to play with :) The bigger LED would need better cooling and temperature monitoring. I'd be a bit worried about running something that expensive without actively monitoring its heat output and cutting power to the lamp should it get too hot. Also the Meanwell LED drivers I was considering simply wouldn't have fitted inside the Miniscan. Of course there's no reason why I couldn't fit the 90W LED and associated driver into a bigger fixture....

• 1 month later...