Brother P-touch printer

revbobuk

Folks - I know that Brother P-touch printers using the TZ series tapes are popular for cable labels - there's a wide range of tape available. So I thought you might like to know that there's a good deal on the small desktop printer, the PT-1230PC, that uses the same tapes, from LIDL at the moment. Like most of these things, the included tape is just a short one, but at £25 it's pretty cheap. The Brother P-touch editor software works fine, and you can install a proper driver for it or just run it in 'Lite' mode without any installed software. Link here for more details.

Just bought a handheld P-touch from Lidl near college last week for 15 quid. I've labelled EVERYTHING, even the air con control panels, and I'm still on the supplied roll of tape. Best label printers ever. Although I wouldn't bother hunting the high street for extra tape. Fleabay or Amazon is probably a better source.

Luke

I think someone may need to take a trip to Lidl.

Yep, get yourself one of these, before lidl runs out. They don't always re-strock. I've had one for about a year (paid around £30 online) and they're dead useful, even though the software is a tad cantankerous. The really useful thing is being able to set up repeat prints with increasing number ranges and underlining for making up connector labels neatly.

It's slightly less convenient for one-off labels than a handheld machine, but the added design flexibility is a really big bonus.

The tape isn't cheap (The specialty flexible cable tape in particular) and the cutting mechanism seems a little wasteful of tape between independent print runs.

Other than that, I've used to label around 200 XLR connectors with cable numbers and it's worked a treat.

Rather conveniently the Travelodge I stayed in down in Caerphilly this weeks was next to a Lidl. Thanks to revbobuk my bank account is now emptier to the tune of two of these plus a hand-held unit they had in the next bin.

Archived