New back Drop Cloths

Hi

We have decided the time has come to replace our very old and very much painted backdrops. We have removed the old and now need advice on the best optionsto replace them , they need to end up 5.5m wide 7.00m high.

J and C Joel. Great service when I have needed things.

+1 for this. Other suppliers will be cheaper if you want fabric off the roll, but when you want proper drapes made up call these guys. Very helpful, can advise you on materials if you don't know much about cloths (which I don't!) but they don't try and push you to the most expensive option, either.

Have just spent a LOT of money on a 17m x 9m full black. All of the following got a quote back to me by email within a few days:

J&C Joel

Whaleys

McDougall

Promptside

Gerriets

Acre Jean

I'm sure there are others equally capable of sorting out your requirements. As always, there's a bit of variance in price, quality and service. Choose the 2 you care about...

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Blondy,

My company has used a business named Silver Star Displays. they were great on customer service and attention to detail. They even caught a few mistakes I had made and corrected them right away. I HIGHLY reccomend this company, not to mention their prices were lower then anywhere else I looked. Here is a link to their page Wholesale Pipe and Drape

Mike. Welcome to the Blue Room. You may have noticed this is a mainly UK based forum, therefore your recommendation (which by the way is incredibly glowing - it comes across as an advertisement, and it is mighty suspicious that your first post on the forum is recommending this company) is a bit worthless, to be honest. :)

David

Blondy,

My company has used a business named Silver Star Displays. they were great on customer service and attention to detail. They even caught a few mistakes I had made and corrected them right away. I HIGHLY reccomend this company, not to mention their prices were lower then anywhere else I looked. Here is a link to their page Wholesale Pipe and Drape

Mike. Welcome to the Blue Room. You may have noticed this is a mainly UK based forum, therefore your recommendation (which by the way is incredibly glowing - it comes across as an advertisement, and it is mighty suspicious that your first post on the forum is recommending this company) is a bit worthless, to be honest. :)

David

Further to this, it appears that Silver Star Displays do not make cloths, which was the point of the OP.

Blondy,

David

Further to this, it appears that Silver Star Displays do not make cloths, which was the point of the OP.

David,

I appriciate you review of my comment. I was very satisfied with the service I received from them. I wanted to do everything I could to try and help them, since I feel they deserve to be rewarded for their service. I did not know that it would be comsidered "spam". I understand that this is a UK forum, but we are in a global economy and saving money is the name of the game for event productions such as the industry I am in. My company doesn't normally care where we outsource to aslong as the product quality is good and the price is right. Either way, all I was trying to do is offer a solution. Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful day.

P.S. Silver Star does make drapes

P.S. Silver Star does make drapes

I think the issue here is possibly one of " a shared language, leading to confusion....."

in UK, "drape" and "cloth" usually mean slightly different things - "painted cloth" usually refers to a specific scene painted onto scenic cotton canvas or "filled cloth", for example "a forest glade", "the castle walls" and so on, the subject of the painting relating to the requirements of the specific performance. These cloths if treated carefully can be repainted, but obviously after many uses will come to the end of their useful life and will need replacing, hence Blondy's enquiry. It wasn't clear whether the OP was looking for the raw unpainted canvas drops, or had specific requirements for painting. "Drapes" on the other hand refers to the plain black (usually in the theatre) or other coloured fabric backgrounds (wool serge, velour etcetera) as shown on the silver star website. Perhaps it's different in the USA?

Speaking personally, I don't mind you (or anyone else for that matter) posting a personal recommendation for a company who has provided a good service. After all, that's what the OP asked for, isn't it? It's then up to them to accept or reject any advice offered.

It's not so much company recommendations I have an issue with, it's the 'new member signs up and their first post is a glowing recommendation'. Makes it look like an advert, particularly when said company is 1) on the other side of the pond from the OP, and 2) best I can tell they didn't do what the OP wanted anyway.

Thanks for the clarification :)

David

Archived