Show Relay System Overhaul

karl

I'd rather have a small shotgun condenser with the correct pickup pattern to catch lots of stage and less of the audience, given that it's positioned 3m into the audience. Probably just as cheap as a dynamic and much better suited.

I'd also pull in a cat5 at the same time, incredibly useful should you want anything that needs controlling there in the future.

Yeah but... no but... screw you

Devil's Advocate here, what about the voltage drop over the cable if you were to remote the Battery?

Likely to be close to unmeasurable.

Voltage drop is a property of current and resistance, and there is almost no current flowing, and not a lot of resistance.

Thanks for all the helpful ideas.

I must say the argument for a proper balanced set up sounds convincing. Phantom power so no more battery changes. Better sound quality. A little more expensive than a straight like for like cable swap but not too bad.

I don't fancy the remote battery box option. As was already mentioned it's one more odd ball thing to confuse whoever comes along later. I'm trying to get rid of the existing oddities not add more.

And yes, I'll use the opportunity to run in extra cables for future usage (cat5, hard power).

Another advantage of slightly better quality: there's every chance that at some point in the future the village hall may have to consider a hearing aid loop or I/R system--and a decent quality show relay mic can also feed this.

I'd like to add another vote for balanced cable and condenser mic, and if budget permits a Behringer Shark. We added one of these to out set-up and it has helped no end. You can compress your relay mic so you can get a good level from the quiet parts of the show, with the compressor clamping down on the louder/musical parts so you still maintain clarity and avoid distortion. As others have said it will also provide phantom for the mic.

Another advantage of slightly better quality: there's every chance that at some point in the future the village hall may have to consider a hearing aid loop or I/R system--and a decent quality show relay mic can also feed this.

If it went for a loop amp now that would solve many of the problems. Some loop amps have phantom power for a microphone (often not 48V but many mics will take a lower voltage especially the budget electrets), balanced mic inputs and a line output and all modern ones as far as I know have compression circuitry. Loop cable is inexpensive.

You woudl need to confirm that the line output is after the compressor.

Archived