Dance studio lighting

scaryrobot

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I gave my suggestions for a college lighting / technical infrastructure system for a college not so long ago here is what I would reccomend specifying for maximum flexibility.

2 x rectangular shaped trusses spanning 6m of the 8 metre width and each spanning 8m long. Internal to each truss should be spanned internally for maximum flexibility and should look from a birds eye view like a 3x3 grid

6m section
----------------------- Cyc Bar
|        |        |        |  . boom 3
|        |        |        |                                       this side 8m long
|------|-------|------| Batten / Backlight Bar
|        |        |        |  . boom 2
|        |        |        |
|------|-------|------| Lighting Bar
|        |        |        |  . boom 1
|        |        |        |
----------------------- Lighting Bar

I hope you can make out from my crude diagram the benefits:

All lighting and scenery can be lowered / raised - good h&s point to get across less working at height - only for focussing - no "manual" raising lowering of heavy objects (lanterns)

Don't forget you have another truss in the othe half of the room for in the round and other uses.

The cyc bar could have a white cyc hanging on the upstage cord of the truss and a black tab set on the down stage cord providing a variety of scenic options - with the truss being lowered storage of cyc and blacks could be "tripped" and so holing and wear and tear would be less likely.

A scaff bars can be held in stock and can be used to bridge any of the sections so one is possible to hang lanterns/set anywhere. Ally trunking with sockets mounted on could be ran around the main grid of the truss providing power distribution.

Lighting wise

taking the "end on" performance venue to be 8m wide and 7m deep (about 1/3 of length of gym)

I would divide the stage up into a grid of 9 areas (3x3 grid) with a warm and a cool fresnel directed at each area, thats 18 650w / possibly 1k fresnels each on its on dimmer to start off with (I have found dance tends to like this flexibility)

3 Colours of backlight ideally one fresnel per colour per area of your 3x3 grid is 27 lanterns again each on its own dimmer (these can often be paired but individual dimmers would be the ideal situation)

Then we have 3 dance booms per side say in an ideal situation four fresnels per boom, thats 32 fresnels on 16 dimmers (paired with opposite side) however allow 6 outlets per boom for spec - one soca to run, and added flexibility.

4 colour Batten - 500w per cell (4 cell battens) 24 cells 8 dimmers minimum (some very nice cyc effects can be created by having more flexibility over cyc dimmers such as red in centre, amber at ends)

Allowance for specials say 12 dimmers

Well thats 81 dimmers used, don't forget allowance for dips and floor specials, also ground row. I would allow for 72 sockets on each truss, and a patch panel to dimmers for maximum flexibility, possibly 10 dips either side. Also consider remotely switched 16a c-forms for independants, DMX runs to truss and dips, ethernet, vga runs for projectors, 3pin XLRs for any effects (strobes, gobo rotators etc)

I would also consider a more theatre style desk such as Strand 300, as this allows grouping eg group one could be all warm wash, group 2 could be all cool wash, very useful in programming, much easier than pushing up faders on a frog.

I hope my two-penneth is of some use, I realise that this spec would be used in a very ideal world, but maybe it can be whittled down somewhat as your budget / needs suit. Feel free to contact me should you have any further questions.

EDIT

Oh dear the spaces in my crude drawing didn't appear, hopefully you'll understand the concept tho.

5m is not really very high, so you aren't going to need powerful lanterns to get decent amounts of light over a long throw distance.

If the space is going to be used in an adaptable way, rather than in one fixed format, then the gridiron-style lighting grid is definitely the way forward. A bar every metre in both directions. That way, you'll always be able to hang a lantern pretty close to where you need it - and you could carry a small stock of short scaff bars to enable you to bridge across between grid bars if you need to get lanterns rigged in particular places.

The comment that someone made earlier re. lighting circuits at floor level is well worth considering. However many circuits you think you'll need on the deck, you'll always find yourself needing more at some point. Be generous with these.

48 ways sounds like a reasonable allocation of dimmers to start with, but make sure you set things up so that it's easy to expand - leave space in the dimmer room, and lay in enough mains to power more racks as and when you need them. If you run the rack mains from Ceeforms rather than hardwiring them, then you've also got the option to hire in extra dimmers as and when you need them.

The suggestions for specific lighting designs (warm/cool wash, etc.) are all very well and good, but I don't think that's what the question is here - the OP seemed to be asking more about the venue infrastructure and equipment, rather than how to light the space.

I would also consider a more theatre style desk such as Strand 300, as this allows grouping eg group one could be all warm wash, group 2 could be all cool wash, very useful in programming, much easier than pushing up faders on a frog.

I think the frogs have submasters which should work much the same way?

I'd agree with Gareth about putting a 1m square grid over the whole room. You say they are looking for versatility and this will give them that. Put plenty of sockets in and then allow them to be patched into the dimmers as required. Floor circuits (patchable too) a must wherever you can fit them. If you can only afford a few generics as the lantern part of your budget, think about maybe getting a few PCs as these when opened wide can be a bit like a fresnel and when tightened down can be a bit like a profile. Having worked in similar spaces on many occasions a spare PC has got me out of trouble on more than one occasion!

As the grid isn't high, make sure whatever you buy will open out nice and wide so you don't need too many to do a wash - toplight washes are always lantern-heavy in low-grid venues.

I'd also agree with Jivemaster about getting stands as part of the budget as side light is a must for dance. If you can't afford decent stands for now, put them on next year's budget and get some floor stands instead for now. You can get these quite cheaply, store them in a tiny space, and they can provide some good angles.

Finally, I don't really understand how people can be making suggestions as to colours (straw, red and blue for instance). How can you suggest colours without knowing what style of dance (ballet/tap/modern/street etc.), what type of music, what mood and what colour costume?

Just some of my random musings to add too this thread...

Our Studio space has a grid system installed which is very similar to the whole 1m x 1m grid as suggested by other members. The problem I find is that we only have sockets installed on the bars running across stage, so anything rigged on the upstage/downstage bars needs either a lantern with a long power lead (!) or TRS to get back to the nearest socket. Not the biggest thing in the world I know, but I find it annoying al the same. So would be a good idea to look at having sockets installed on all bars if you can help it.

A patch panel is a must in this sort of situation, there is nothing quite so annyoing as only being able to rig lanterns in the places originally decided in the install as dictated by the amount of sockets in one place. Our studio has a 108 way patch panel, which patches down to 36 ways of Betapack 2 dimming (The 2x15A versions) which makes for a very flexible space. As your going to be using the space for dance, you'll have to work out how many sockets you want at floor level as you'll find these get used up very quickly!

As for lanterns, with JSB's mention of wide angled fresnels above, I'd be looking at Selecon Acclaims or Robert Juliat 306 or 310Fs. The 306s would probably win out for me as you can lamp them at either 650w or 1000w (so you could have a main stock of 600w's and a few 1000w's to enable you to have a more dominant backlight for instance) and they also have the incredibly cool feature of rotatable leaves on the barndoors - all sorts of funky focusses can be acheived here. Plus they remind of Patt 743s, which isn't a bad thing at all. Strand Quartet Fs are out of the picture here as they are only 10-40º which isn't very useful.

For Profiles I'd go down the route of S4 Jrs, small yet very bright for what they are. Esp when you compare them to the S4 Zooms! You could also look at the Selecon Acclaim Axials which are also quite nice for what they are. I'd be inclinded to have lots of profiles as they can get used up very quickly if you've got lots of shinbusters (nothing else cuts it here if you want to focus them so you don't get any spill on the floor!) etc etc.

Plus a few Par 64s won't hinder you at all. Only thing about the low grid is you need quite a few lamped with CP62s if you want to get anywhere useful, so perhaps think about lamping them with EXGs (24x48º off the top of my head instead of 12x24º) or even perhaps S4 Pars with the widest lens. Some Par 16 'Birdies' won't harm you in this situation either for use as footlights for the atmospheric touch in some numbers. Plus they are dirt cheap.

Desk wise, I can certainly recommed ETC Express 24/48s or 48/96s (depending on how many dimmers you go for in the end) as they are incredibly easy desks to use, which could be useful for you if your not sure who'll end up using the install. Fat Frogs are good also, but not quite as flexible as Express' in my opinion. Only thing with the Express' is the ML software sucks in comparison to the Frog range.

Anyway some URLs for further reading...

Robert Juliat

Selecon Acclaim Range

S4 Jr Zoom

ETC Express 24/48

Good luck!

Stu

For the floor circuits I would specify probably 4x Socapex outlets, two down each long side of the room, then have a few lengths of Soca and some breakout boxes, this will give you flexibility in locating your floor circuits. You could also spec some tank traps and internally wired booms.

As for the PAR's I would strongly recommend you getting S4 Pars with the complete lens kits, much easier than storing several different types of PAR64 lamps. Also if you plan on getting some scrollers (which I would recommend) get the MCM (Metal Cold Mirror) versions as they will be A LOT more friendly to your scrolls.

Finally, I don't really understand how people can be making suggestions as to colours (straw, red and blue for instance).  How can you suggest colours without knowing what style of dance (ballet/tap/modern/street etc.), what type of music, what mood and what colour costume?

Quuite easily, if you either don't bother reading the question properly in the first place, or read it and don't take a moment to think about, and understand, what's being asked ... :)

I think the frogs have submasters which should work much the same way?

The Bull Frog does have submasters, which can be easily programmed up with 'looks and chases' and used for busking a show. This desk can also do stack (theatre style) operation, ala Strand etc.

EDIT: Don't forget the white front light! The twirlies need to be seen too :) Just a little is often sufficent, and may also be needed when video taping dancers for assessments.

David

hmm, without reading what everybody else has to say..

Iv worked in dance studio's a few times..

Instead of having threee or four bars going in the same direction, you are probably best to have a centered square of bars, or maybe a grid (depending on budgets). 24 to 48 (at the most) channels of dimming would be effective, the desk probably doesn't need to be that big, although eventually you may want a couple of ML's.. Maybe 6 wired sockets at ground level, giving you the option to have floor cans.. As for normal cans, I wouldn't advise it in a studio..

Four wired 8 way bars would prob do the trick..

(based on a current setup of about the same size, we have always used strand lighting)

left bar:

4 x Stand Quartet Fresnels (650w) (2 pairs)

2 x Strand Cantata Fresnels (1.2kw) (singles)

2 x Strand Quartet Profiles (650w) (singles)

right bar:

(same as left bar)

front bar:

2 x Strand Coda 500's (500w) (good for general lighting) (1 pair)

2 x Strand Quartet Profiles (650w) (singles)

4 x Stand Quartet Fresnels (650w) (2 pairs)

back bar:

(same as front bar)

floor:

4 x Floor Cans (2 pairs)

(remembering you will probably need to pair a few up - that gives you 24 channels exactly)

Lets Say:

1. Pair Of Floor Cans 1

2. Pair Of Floor Cans 2

3. Pair Of Back Coda's

4. Pair Of Front Coda's

5. Single Back Quartet P 1

6. Single Back Quartet P 2

7. Single Front Quartet P 1

8. Single Front Quartet P 2

9. Single Left Quartet P 1

10. Single Left Quartet P 2

11. Single Right Quartet P 1

12. Single Right Quartet P 2

13. Pair Of Back Quartet F's 1

14. Pair Of Back Quartet F's 2

15. Pair Of Front Quartet F's 1

16. Pair Of Front Quartet F's 2

17. Pair Of Left Quartet F's 1

18. Pair Of Left Quartet F's 2

19. Pair Of Right Quartet F's 1

20. Pair Of Right Quartet F's 2

21. Single Left Cantata 1

22. Single Left Cantata 2

23. Single Right Cantata 1

24. Single Right Cantata 2

Although this might needed to be corrected due to dimmers (power balancing and such)

A Z88 Chilli would probably fix up dimming, or maybe if you want them out the way/movable, 4 Z88 Beta 2's with 32 or 64a plugs on em, then somwer to have a few sockets fitted.. Either way, that seems ok..

Maybe a lower range 24 channel desk.. I would think about this all and price it up - but there is probably 10 million other suggestions so this is just my rough idea.. (giving you a little installation plan that could eventually be upgraded/added on to..

(I will note again, this is what I have seen working well in current setups)..

If this is some help, tell me..

As mentioned previously, Selecon Acclaims work well in studio spaces. They're nice and small but lots of light out of the front.

Think Stu has covered just about everything else I was going to suggest as well but a few other things.

Have you looked at any drapes yet? Some Tab track and black masking to run around the edge of the space may be useful, and also borders and legs etc if you plan on doing Pros arch type shows.

What is your floor like? If it's wooden or anything brown it won't take light very well at all so you might want to look at some rosco dance floor or similar which you can lay in the stage area.

If the space is going to be multipurpose then you will probably find you want to operate from different places so plenty of DMX points could come in handy.

Think other people have mentioned but get lots of TRS, Grelco's, DMX cable, Power cable, and also stuff like a bit of spare gel stock, consumables like tape and a few spare lamps to start them off, as you may find the budget wont be there for them in 6 months.

Archived