Dance studio lighting

scaryrobot

I'd reccomend if its a general all-possibilities performance area is two squares of IWBs. One larger one running the perimiter of the space, and a smaller one a few metres further in. This would allow you pretty much 4 bars in either direction - one FOH, one just infront of the performance space, one just over the performance space and one backlight bar. It would allow you to do thrust, 'pros arch', in-the-round etc types with a flexible grid. I'd also suggest quite a few T-Bars or possibly ladders if you know whereabouts you are likely to be performing to allow for front/side lighting.

Lantern wise, I'd reccomend some S4 profiles, 600w Fresnels, a few par 56 and par 64 for chases/colours, some 1.2kw Fresnels, a couple of floods for lighting the wall as a cyc perhaps, etc. Some Par 36 and Birdies would be good for footlighting or to create ACL type affects.

I wouldn't reccomend movers though if you have a small budget, of course if you had it, 2 MAC500's would be a nice addition, just remember the conventionals are your workhorses!

scrollers for the pars would be great if you got them cheaply (not too cheap models mind!). Betapacks with alphapacks for the T-Bars might be a good idea, allowing you to wallmount them and then patch-in as necessary. I'd also reccomend a Fat Frog desk.

Remember to get the infrastructure in now! CAT5, DMX, Audio, Power, etc is all important before it gets painted or whatever!

HTH,

Ben

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PLENTY OF DECENT IDEAS - JUST A FEW COMMENTS.

DONT FORGET THAT THE TWIRLIES ALSO NEED DECENT LEVELS OF REHEARSAL LIGHT - FLORRIES, LOW VOLTAGE - WHATEVER.

AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL - SOME FORM OF AIRCON TO REMOVE THE HEAT - IT WILL GET HUGELY UNCOMFORTABLE. IN FACT, THE LED FLOODS MENTIONED IN OTHER THREADS COULD BE EXACTLY WHATS NEEDED - MOOD LIGHTING AND LITTLE HEAT OUTPUT.

Everyones mentioned mac500's although they have less options, gobo's, colours etc what about some mini mac's or some 250's?

IN FACT, THE LED FLOODS MENTIONED IN OTHER THREADS COULD BE EXACTLY WHATS NEEDED - MOOD LIGHTING AND LITTLE HEAT OUTPUT.

You could have some LED battens vertical giving some side wash.

Maybe in the region of 6 profiles, 12 fresnels, and the remainder as parcans.

This comment (from the topic starter) makes no mention of moving lights, and it seems to me, many people are straying a bit ;) by bringing mac 250, 500 or whatever into the equation.

I think it might be more helpful to discuss the merits/disadvantages to some generic lantern types for the space instead (fresnel/parcan/profile) ??

I think fresnels are a good choice in this type of space, they lead to a much better, even wash of the space, we've found that in the gym we converted last year the parcans ended up providing rather un-even lighting, as the throw wasn't far enough.

Tomlyall is spot on, you need to remember to allow money to install things such as sound patch panels at strategic locations around the hall, rigging points for speakers/scenery and lots of power points. Also, a DMX socket on the lighting bars might be useful, for the time when you might get a scroller or two.

Just my experience over the last year during our conversion of gym to studio....

John

I did a panto this year/last year - and I found that one mover (a Mac500) did the work of 15 Source 4s. Source 4s each would of been £12 each for a week £180 the mac cost me £160ish a week

Well its a good job you don't light any of my shows! As I would find it hard to light a lectern, a top table, a stage wash and highlight some logos with 1 mac500 but 12 s4 junior zooms do nicely (and the set wash was done with thomas pixel battens) the last time I did use macs I had 2 x 500's and 6 x 600's which I used in addition to 14 s4's and 8 1k f's not instead of...

paul...

This thread seems to be demonstrating quite well who are the practical people who understand the needs of a particular project, and who are the dreamers and schemers who just like playing with toys! ;)

Keeping things in perspective is the key here, I think. It's a little college dance studio that we're talking about when all is said and done (which, in all probability, will have to be kitted out within a typical college budget). Rigs of moving lights? LED battens? Yeah, right! ;) You've got to get the basics right before you go adding the frilly bits. It's no good having a rig full of LEDs and moving lights at the detriment of other, far more fundamental, aspects of the project.

Back in the real world; I find a lot of side and up lighting works particually well!

Coda's provide good uplighting and parcans are good side lighting - however, I have used coda's for side lighting in pink, that worked nicely!

Depending on how much time you have, I would reccomend trying out different positions and colours.

Coda's provide good uplighting and parcans are good side lighting - however, I have used coda's for side lighting in pink, that worked nicely!

Codas are assymetric, designed specifically for cloth/cyc lighting. The light from them is also extremely uncontrollable compared with any other kind of fixture.

Thanks for all your feedback so far guys, it's helping tremendously.

Just to fill you in, the height from the floor to the possible sites for the bars is only about 5 metres, which makes the full dimensions 20m x 8m x 5m. It's a modest-sized space. I've drawn up a few designs using both overhead bars and the concentric squares idea which was discussed in this thread (thanks)... Taking all this into account, I'm thinking of specifying 48 channels of dimming as a minimum... does this seem reasonable for a space of this size? Or even too few? After I've finished mentally placing bars, allowing lighing from every angle from above and the side, I can easily run up to 72 channels. It's likely that the budget might only run to 48chan (although I won't be told figures), so does anyone have any guidelines for 'making do' pairing the best channels together?

James

I'd go for the IWBs in the concentric squares personally. TBH if you use hardpatching into betapacks or similar, 48 would be quite a lot. if your going for that it might be worth getting a bigger brother of the fat frog. try also to get some 15A lines in say sets of 4 at ground height for plugging in T-Bars, footlights, etc.

remember, each circuit (a link between an IWB and a dimmer) doesn't need its own channel...

Archived