Work Experience - Under 16s

RaltoJo96

I am currently under 16 and only new to the technical side of things (and this forum!), but I've developed an obsession/passion for technical theatre and for a while now I've been thinking of getting into some theatres for experience. I've done bits and bobs with lighting and sound before; school, stage school, spot follow etc. but I would love to spend more time observing what goes on. I've done my official work experience in school, but that time was wasted as I was put on a more than useless placement -as you do- with no experience in the industry that I wish to have knowledge in!

If I were to ask around theatres and other venues for experience or just meerly to observe, would they let me? Insurance-wise, what could they let me do? I know most things technical wouldn't be an option, but could I help out front of house? And if you were the one I had to speak to to allow it, what would I have to say to convince you to let me? :3

Please help, it's hard living with a passion for a craft which you cannot yet pursue! :(

Thanks,

Jo

I can't actually help you with finding work experience but congratulations on creating a well written post (that goes down well here at the blueroom) and as well for being honest with what you have done so far! That will stand you in good stead.

Welcome to the blue room and good luck.

The chances are your local amateur theatre groups will be desperate for any sort of backstage help whatsoever, so have an ask around. I have had success just emailing groups with "I see you have a show on - do you want a hand?". I also made a very good contact after doing a gig with my secondary school windband at a local village hall, which led to lots of valuable experience - stick with any tech your school does.

I haven't had much luck with professional work experience, so can't help you there. All the am dram shows have been a good laugh though.

I'd agree about am-dram shows.

I was fascinated by lighting from the age of 3 months (parents discovered that I stopped crying if held up to a light switch and allowed to turn it on and off!)

I managed to get involved in local am-dram productions when I was 12 - just general backstage stuff to start with, but got to know the lighting guys and after a couple of shows was operating the lighting. Subsequently they got me involved in several other am-drams and also follow spotting at local theatres. I lived in a village though so these were village-hall type shows where everyone knows everyone else.

It's tricky because 'work experience' is usually a big problem at 'real' theatre because unless a Children's license is in force, it's illegal to have you work there. That said, some venues may be willing to turn a blind eye to this if they have met you and realise your interest in genuine. They need to meet you and make the decision. If you approach them when an amateur show is about to be on, then there may well be a license taken out that could cover you - but it's complex. If people say no - don't feel it's aimed at you.It's just that some councils take under 16 work and performance work very seriously. Others don't even know that theatres are on the danger list. So where you are could be very important. If the council, the school and the theatre don't know - you could be ok. As I've mentioned before, at our venue we had a really keen girl who worked in box office and did usherette type things and was 15 (but looked much older) and when I mentioned she shouldn't be working they checked with the council who said fine - then an hour later a frantic phone call from a more senior person at the council saying they'd checked and we had to stop her working straight away!

best of luck

Paul

I agree that the am-dram route may be a very good way to gain some experience. A good proportion of am-dram companies will welcome you with open arms if you are keen; be prepared to start at the bottom sweeping the stage and if you have the right attitude, listen to everything that's said and take it all on board, you'll probably find you progress through the ranks fairly fast (but don't ever think you're too good to sweep the stage!). Of course, if you're asked to do something you're not comfortable with or don't know what actually has to be done, please say so...always preferable that someone asks a question than barrels on through and either does it wrong, or worse, hurts themselves or others. I've had to talk too many people down from ladders - when asked to go up the ladder, they didn't say "look, I'm not very comfortable at heights, it might be better if you got someone else to do it". You sound like you have a great attitude and enthusiasm and the fact that you are prepared to help out FOH or anywhere else just to be involved is a big positive. Good luck! (and let us know how you get on)

be prepared to start at the bottom sweeping the stage and if you have the right attitude, listen to everything that's said and take it all on board, you'll probably find you progress through the ranks fairly fast (but don't ever think you're too good to sweep the stage!).

I would reiterate what gridgirl has said-I have seen a number of keen people over the years who are constantly asking "can I do this? can I do this?" but without listening to how to do any one task because they are already onto the next one. Although there are a lot of people in this industry that will help you and show you how to do things this sort of attitude very quickly gets annoying. By all means ask questions but do be prepared to listen and learn from the answers. Gridgirl has summed it up very well.

Good luck.

Thanks guys! There's a brilliant am-dram group I know, so I'll see if I can join them. Thanks again, this must be the most friendly forum I've ever joined! :)

I saw the thread on suitable books for SM etc., any chance anyone could suggest which one would be good for getting started? :P

Thanks,

Jo

Hi Jo,

There is also no harm in speaking to some of the rental/production companies in your area to see if you can get some work experience there. We take one or two school pupils in for this for a week or two now and again and our employers liability insurance covers this.

Best of luck in your quest!

Steve

I did my two weeks with a hire/events production company and spent much of the time doing the unglamorous work like prepping kit for hires and loading/unloading vans. I did, however, learn a lot of useful skills and get to know a few people. If you find somewhere willing and able to take you in, and you don't mind the lack glamour in the work, you'll find yourself in an excellent position for moving up to the more interesting work.

Be positive and helpful when you're there and try to make a good impression. Good luck with the Am-dram group, but bear in mind they may not have the time to teach you everything. You may need to be prepared to go out and find things out for yourself - like posting up here! Good luck!

...and spent much of the time doing the unglamorous work like prepping kit for hires and loading/unloading vans.

It might appear unglamorous but I think I speak for anyone who works 'on site' - there is nothing, repeat nothing, that p**ses of a crew more than a badly packed van or opening up cases to find things all over the place or missing. Except maybe a lack of crew catering.

Being able to go to a nicely labelled and packed case and having the confidence that what you need will be in there makes ones day so much more pleasant.

It's like my stints in industry; the most important men and women in the factory were always the stores people.

I saw the thread on suitable books for SM etc., any chance anyone could suggest which one would be good for getting started? :P

Thanks,

Jo

Thomas Kelly's book:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0823088103.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

is a great book - a little geared to the US but still with loads and loads of very good information (and I believe that if you click that link to get to it and buy it, the Blue Room gets a donation of some sort?)

Are you Scouts/Guides inclined? There may be a "Gang Show" somewhere local who would 1/ like volunteers, 2/ play in proper theatres, 3/ Have all the "children and young people" safeguarding and HSAW issues fully sorted.

If you get good (for your age) in an amdram, then show good on a pro stage with a Gang Show (age issues addressed) then it's really up to you to chose your move into pro paid theatre, by making a good impression.

IIRC Whitby Festival relies on unpaid staff in many positions, Maybe you could get your parents to take you there and get some experience of the little jobs, it's real world experience so it counts a LOT more than school stuff. It's one week in August I think there will be a website.

It's tricky because 'work experience' is usually a big problem at 'real' theatre because unless a Children's license is in force

Paul, is this just a theatre thing? I employ a couple of 15 year olds during the summer and apart from giving them their extra breaks etc (which they hate) I didn't think I needed a licence??

Chris

The Children's Act specifies a number of types of places termed as prohibited places - Abattoirs, commercial kitchens, discotheques and theatres being the common ones. I understand abattoirs - but in sea-side towns, kids working in burger stalls, washing up in cafes etc is also a problem. I'm told that these places were defined quite a long time ago as places likely to place young people in danger or prone to exploitation. The rules also incorporate exposure to events likely to cause physical and emotional harm - which I guess could be where the abattoirs come in.

So theatres are definite no-nos for under 16s. It's so strange that it's no wonder many venues and the authorities themselves don't know about it.

If you stick theatre discotheque and abattoir into google, you bring up quite a few references to local authorities who have the info in their archives. Add Children's act to narrow it down.

here's a useful one from York that sets out their policy

Archived