LED colour pickers on eBay

Alec

Anyone actually tried Here Chinese LED colour pickers from ebay?

I'm assuming that they work, but are pretty dim - am I right? They show some cracking looking photos of them in action, but I'm assuming that they've enhanced the colours in the photos...

funny you should mention this as ive noticed this auction aswell.

I actully emailed a guy about a week ago who bought some of the very same units.

He said that were very good, quite bright about the equivilent of a par 38, he said that the beam angle is rather wide. The colour mixing is super smooth and the strobe effect is pucka, however the units are made of plastic if they were metal they would be superb little units.

The units are that small im guessing you could fit them inside a par 38 or a 36 can, you could also strip out the internals and install them into anything.

The only thing ill say is that the courier costs look a little high so make sure you check this out before making a bid

vince

Cheap sure, £51 postage so brings them out at £130 a pair........... probably no where to get spares or it swapped out if it falls apart inside a week?

:)

Yup, my concerns on both sides. They need to be stocked by someone like Thomann who will happily knock them out for a similar price but without the shipping rip-off, and provide some sort of backup cover.

I agree with that other thread that they're not likely to be the best & latest LEDs and that they've probably overvolted. But very appealing at the (without shipping) price...

Guest lightnix
I might consider them for domestic use or a permanent install, but I wouldn't want to gig or em. I reckon the shipping is definitely a rip-off, though. I'd mention it to Ebay, there's no way they cost that much to send.

What's the problem with the shipping cost? The product is supposedly being shipped from China - assuming its by air courier, if you get a quote from DHL to ship a 2kg parcel of size 20cm x 15cm x 30cm from UK to China it comes out at about £73 with the 9% fuel surcharge. OK the shipping is being done in reverse and the market prices in China will be different, but £50 for shipping a box of that size from China to UK by air doesn't seem that excessive to me. And they are being up front about the shipping cost, and you can choose not to bid if you don't want to pay it, so I don't see the problem... not that I'd buy any. Here they are offering CMY colour mixing from, erm, red, green and blue LEDs...

I'm assuming that they work, but are pretty dim - am I right?  They show some cracking looking photos of them in action, but I'm assuming that they've enhanced the colours in the photos...

Seen these in action in sunny north wales ;), theres a club that has a few... and they do work ok in a club environment, quite bright. However, this is in a black box, with no spill from other fixtures/lanterns. I think the colours would get washed out pretty fast if any face lighting was applied......

John :)

What's the problem with the shipping cost? The product is supposedly being shipped from China - assuming its by air courier, if you get a quote from DHL to ship a 2kg parcel of size 20cm x 15cm x 30cm from UK to China it comes out at about £73 with the 9% fuel surcharge. OK the shipping is being done in reverse and the market prices in China will be different, but £50 for shipping a box of that size from China to UK by air doesn't seem that excessive to me. And they are being up front about the shipping cost, and you can choose not to bid if you don't want to pay it, so I don't see the problem... not that I'd buy any.

£73 is an expensive quote. I regularly send stuff to China - birthday presents etc - I have relatives who have recently moved to Shanghai - and sending a 2kg parcel via airmail at the post office costs about 17 pounds.

Bruce.

Hi Peter. Thinking about it, that does make a lot of sense & what I said before was a bit stupid! Sorry.

Agree with Bruce about the cost of posting stuff. I recently sent a book to Kuala Lumpur by Royal Mail for about £7 - whereas DHL cost is nearer £60. Difference is that 10 days later it hasn't arrived yet whereas DHL is 2/3 day service. Agree that postage is more than it could be, but if that's the service they're using then it isn't excessive.

David

Archived