If you are just looking to "knock up" a stage plan that needs to represent simple information about a stage layout and maybe some technical data, and scale isn't important, have a look at any chart drawing software including the free online Gliffy. You can drag and drop, use pretty pictures as symbols - it's simple and "in the cloud, man". I've seen it used for creating successful schematics, as you can easily drag out the connections in true chart style. Another non-scale free option would be a drawing in Google Docs although I'd say it wasn't quite as easy as Gliffy.

I would urge Josh to take up the great opportunity of having a a free VW student licence while he can and didn't have to stump up the cash like the rest of us. But I don't think many of us would bother using CAD to draw such a plot as it's generally more of a faff, even if we do already have the software.

The same free licence for students also applies to AutoCAD and for all I know most of the other less 'mainstream' CAD programs

The AutoCAD student licence lasts 3 years so make sure you have the latest version (there's a new one each March) before you leave

Once you are registered you have access to 30 Autodesks products, not just AutoCAD; 3DS Max, Revit, Maya, Inventor etc etc . You may need a teacher to register initially and then invite you to join but it takes 5 minutes and it's certainly worth it

Autodesk Student Community

David

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

Working for a University currently, helping them put on a few events. I've been keen to get my head around CAD for ages, primarily 2D. I have access to the Autodesk Student suite and wonder which would be best for these purposes;

#I'm looking for being able to do scaled stage design, with ability to show for example, a 32ft by 32ft litedeck stage, with a set of treads, a truss column, and maybe seating banks. Is there a library with these on available? I've used Autosketch in the past but this seems to be no longer available and AutoCAD seems to be more 3D work. Any suggestions for software?

Does anyone know of any stage design software similar to stage plot pro for mac but that can be used on windows

Uhm.... how about stage plot pro for windows?

http://www.stageplot.com/DownloadPage.html

E2A sorry just noticed the OP is very old and thus a windows version has been created in the meantime. might still be of interest to someone though

Archived