8U flightcase - with wheels and handle

paulears

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/DP30784-40.jpg

I just saw this case.

Anybody tried one. I'm not a huge lover of these ABS cases, not so much because they're plastic, but because they don't use standard bolts - and the lids tend to fall off with a bit of abuse - but I quite like the idea of the trolly handle. I expect it will be a bit flimsy - but difficult to tell from the picture.

Anybody had one? The same product seems available from a number of sources in different makes, all quite a bit more expensive.

They're not awful... Most of the time I'd prefer a standard case and a trolley or wheel board.

You have to be a little wise with weight distribution in the case to make it easy to tip and roll. They're ok with care, but I wouldn't want to trust the case to roadies as there is little shock protection for the kit inside.

I have one. Contains a power amp, speaker controller, 1u mixer and 4u of empty space. Used to also house a CD player.

Handle is a bit flimsy, and has been repaired several times. Currently too broken to use, and can't be bothered repairing.

Wheels OK for when you get into a venue. No use for the path outside.

Lids tend to fall off - were fine when it was new.

The amp and mixer have not been particularly reliable - a dab of a hot soldering iron where the PCB meets the

back panel connectors fixes it - suspect that it's due to the vibrations when wheeling on path.

Cheers for that - pretty much as I thought then - however, the case is still handy for running around in a venue. In the absence of dire warnings, I'll give it a go - it's for exactly the same purpose as Bruce's I think - plug in two speakers and give it to dancers. Small rack mixer and an ipod dock.

Cheers for that - pretty much as I thought then - however, the case is still handy for running around in a venue. In the absence of dire warnings, I'll give it a go - it's for exactly the same purpose as Bruce's I think - plug in two speakers and give it to dancers. Small rack mixer and an ipod dock.

AH now if it is for that there is at least one brand out there (no idea) that do a built in kit.

We fixed one for a leisure centre that was tape, cd and mic kit. I am sure there are more out there but they are designed exactly for that and are pretty robust.

I have the kit, but it's in a smaller rack, and I need another 2U - so have retired the EMS plastic case. I had a pile of these starting back in 1995ish - and gradually have snapped the closing mouldings off. They've actually been quite tough - but expanding them is very expensive.

I bought a similar case in 4u for CD and cables and other stuff:

http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music/typeproducts.asp?groupID=7216

When loaded it was quite a lump to move around so bought a folding sack truck/barrow for about £10. This sack truck had 8" pneumatic tyres, exactly like this but was only a quarter of the Amazon price at my local "Trago Mills":

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003G3YIRY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2/277-1343318-1299848?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=1D4C2N6DPYENEQNESTV0&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_i=B000LFYO7E

This combination turned out to be very versatile...but...the only prob then was keeping the trolley out of the thievin' mitts of my fellow cast and crew...who were more than happy to "look after it for you whilst you are setting up..."

I used straps to hold the case in position. Found that you could load quite a bit more on top of the case as well as.

Perhaps it's a standard fitting now that your flightcase manufacturer of choice could sort out for you.

I seem to remember seeing something like this at Plasa - possibly on the Penn Elcom stand. We've gone through quite a few of the cheap plastic cases over the years - they just don't seem to survive contact with the general public.

I had a few of those, but a smaller size once. I used them for DMX splitters, Ethernet nodes and a backup console. They just felt really cheap & nasty, plus the lids came off easily and they were pretty flimsy. I stick with normal flightcases (well made ones) or my new favourite for consoles are custom made Peli cases. The Pelis are much better for travel as they weigh a little less plus they seem to cause less freak outs with airline staff! That being said, as your keeping it in the venue - maybe yours will last a little longer!!

Thanks.

Thanks for sharing that Joe. However, I said in my first post that the lids fall off - so I'm fully aware of the problems of these things. My specific question was on the idea of the handle.

I have discovered a problem - however. The 8U case is in fact 7U +1U reserved for a blank panel, because the handle and wheels take up the space at the bottom of the rack. So I have one bit of kit can't be housed. Damn!

Archived