Lamp numbering/part numbers

fireball40k

Please forgive my ignorance but can anyone fill me in on the origins of theatre lamp numbering schemes (part numbers)?

In particular, why is a lamp like T11 also known as T19? Why is a T13 also known as T22? Same with CP72/79/43. Are these alternatives the same or do they differ in some minor way (i.e. colour temp, lifetime)? If they're the same, why have two numbers?

I believe that T stands for 'Theatre' whereas CP refers to Studio/Film grade - is that true? What is the meaning of 'CP'?

I've had a quick search for articles on this with no great success - any pointer to relevant sources would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

The class of a lamp covers things like colour temperature, envelope form, lamp chemistry, and intended orientation (some lamps are for cap UP use some for cap down either +/- so many degrees. For filament lamps the class indicates the filament shape and may make it more suitable for some reflector systems, some are better prefocused for their intended use.

Archived