SLLET Derby University

Well, I might be a bit bias, but here goes.

I'm a first year student on SLLET at Derby. As far as I have seen so far, it's a good course, caters to people with lots of experience as well as those with little-none and has both a practical and technical element that balances nicely.

The first semester covers a lot of the basics and serves well to bring everyone up-to a similar level. There are elements of electrical calculations and theory, electrical products, signal analysis and computer data manipulation and also the practicalities of a simple event.

Derby itself is a really nice place to live, the halls are good and the facilities at the Uni are good too. Everywhere is flat (great for me as I cycle) and there are enough clubs in town for most people (even if they do all close too early!)

Josh

I agree with the comments made by

smalljoshua

I am in the same year as himself.

I also know people who have graduated and people who are in the second and third year of the course and none of them have a bad word to say about it.

Every one I know who has graduated this course has found a very good job working within the pro audio visual industry.

I myself looked at 3 other universities offering similar courses and I can honestly say that the SLLET course at the university of Derby is far superior to those.

SmallJoshua & arobinsonaudio thank you very much for your quick and helpful replies =]

I was originally going to do an audio engineering degree next October at sae institute when I came across the Derby course the other day , I am glad I have taken a "year out" though. I would have enrolled into a course and come across this one regretting my choice :o

I think Simon and his students would agree with me when I say that what you do with your gap year is almost as important as study. It gives you a chance to work in the industry, gain real-world experience and learn many of the basics which can enhance your academic studies enormously.

Think also about the CV gap that could be filled with valuable experience gained with local crew and the harsh but factual point that this industry may not be so attractive after discovering exactly what is involved. This will become ever more important as fees rise.

My own "sorta-daughter" got two years into music production and management and is now in military intelligence after spending every spare moment for five years working in the biz. Her work was fine and she was very good at it and well-respected, the "life" just was not for her.

I am also in the same year as Josh and Anthony so can't really expand on what they've both said as we are only a few weeks into our first semester.

However seeing as you are taking a gap year, this can really give you a head-start for uni, in both experience and earning up some money to help you out. I took a gap year, started of doing a few days local crew a week, pushing boxes, unloading trucks and all that. Ended up starting work in another local venue doing lights and monitors, then went freelance in February and had a packed out summer season, built a number of contacts in the industry, and learnt faster than I ever thought I would! I really recommend trying to get some local work and seeing where it takes you, maybe do some relevant course if you feel they might benefit you (IPAF or tele-handler license) and just try and get as much experience and work as possible!

Also, even if your working in the industry, this course isn't going to be a doddle! For example, I'm fine with our stagecraft module this semester, however I'm being caught out on the maths and electronics sides of it, and for others it's vice versa, so it's not going to be a complete walk in the park even with industry experience :)

If you've got any questions then feel free to PM me :)

James

I am on the third year of this course.

It is a very good course, it caters for everyone - lampies, noise boys and of course riggers. It also caters for all levels of knowledge, the first year starts with the bare bones of everything, and builds up from there, learning about and playing with differant peices of equipment. To setting up and operating a large rig in the second year and in the third year providing tech for events both at the uni and in Derby.

You will learn about using differant peices of software, including Edwin, Smmart, Wysywig and Auto Cad.

Derby itself is great, I'm a local lad so I know!

If you have any further questions, PM me!

Archived