burning smell coming from movers

techie_101

Earlier on I powered up 2 Chauvet Mini Legends and one of them smelt like it was burning. Before I brought them on Sunday they hadnt been used for around 2 months and the lamps were brand new, so could the burning smell just be dust settled on the lens or something else?

any suggestions are greatly appreciated

many thanks.

From where did you bring them? If it was a dusty environment, then yes there could be dust on the lamps. You could try cleaning the lamps with a dry lint free cloth being careful to keep your fingers off them. If that doesn't work it may be more serious like the failure of an electrolytic capacitor or even the internal wiring.

the lamps were brought from a maplins store but the movers were stored in a garage in cases. they were PAT tested before I brought them and before the two month storage time so I dont think it would be internal wiring. I will try cleaning the lamps and lenses tomorrow as I have put them away for the night :)

OK - pedantic head on (though it DOES make a potential difference to the solutions suggested)

If you BROUGHT them, you took them from one place to annother. This suggests that you owned them already and were merely transporting them to their place of use.

If, however, you BOUGHT them two months ago, and then stored them in your garage, then you may very well have recourse to get them BACK to Maplins as potentially faulty goods for either replacement or refund. (and don't take any crap from Maplin - if the goods ARE faulty through normal use or storage then they are legally obliged to offer either of the above. HOWEVER, that warranty would be rendered void, potentially, if your garage were damp in any way and the problem was proven to be water ingress - so get your facts straight first.

The English language is a wonderful thing if used correctly.

I cleaned the lenses, lamp and other internal optics of the mover that smelt like it was burning and at the moment (touch wood) everything seems to be fine now. and also I brought them off of another person who owned them for three and abit years before me and he kept them in his garage for 2 months and changed the lamp when I went to collect them over the weekend due to the fact the one he had in there already blew. just thought I'd clear that point up because I clearly made a few of you confuzed. sorry

I'd say keep an eye on them, if the burning smell returns phone the manufacturer, perhaps there is an issue with the fixture?

N.B: Perhaps keeping an eye on them is not the term to use, more like... keep your nose on them. ;)

Archived