Plasa

themadhippy

Good - STLD shootout (I was the only one there) and the Wybron MFS 200 I thought v's any of the other washes they were far nicer than anything else. There were very little BRIGHT non mover LED bits and lots of movers.

Also good the NSC, backstage academy, SMU, ABTT ALL talked to me ALL were interested in me and what I wanted and talked.

Bad - as with several other people the massive places where I wondered on the stands looked at some bits for 5 mins and no one appeared interested in me. Infact at at least 1 stand I had to pretty much jump up and down to be noticed.

Weird - that company who do the moving par bar STILL selling that weird imove thing, YES its LED but that is all it has going for it. The 2 kids who seemed kinda old going around with parents.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Good: The deep shag pile carpet on the ETC stand, and the chat I had with Kit Lane about universities (Thanks a lot!)

The Bad: The sheer amount of LED lights that all looked similar. Granted there were a few products that brought something different to the field, but even some of those seemed strange!

The Ugly: http://i56.tinypic.com/111s9lh.jpg

I don't like you have to select So much before you can alter it!

Whoever demoed it to you did a terrible job then.

I've mixed on most of the digital consoles and find the Vi series the simplest to do complicated things on.

(and, most important, they sound great)

I know this is a bit of a drift from the topic, but I'm genuinely quite surprised you found it fiddly.

Cheers,

Peter

Good were the new installation offerings - I liked the Cloud MA60 which looks great for out classroom installations, and the Yamaha distributed Works ranged were very well priced.

I didn't like the rack light on the Innovation gallery - whilst that one looked good on display, the demo one on the stand was poor output, and the colour change switch was on the front, so instead of switching the power as you might expect, you can strobe the colours - notably one of the colours on the demo unit didn't work as well.

Ugly was the uneven floor on the Yamaha stand - I managed to look drunk at 10am on the Sunday by staggering around on there.

The good -

One thing I liked was this moving head panel thingy, though I don't really know where their best use would be.. just think they looked nice.

Liked the avo demo sessions competition thing. - I'm not interested in media servers and the like, but for a newbie like me it gave me a quick little understanding of how their products work - and I didn't have to feel guilty about asking questions and not being a 'buyer' .

The bad -

The lack of information about products on all the stands, I just wanted to know a few things about a light/speaker etc but a-lot of the booklets were out of reach (placed in the sit-down, business areas) or non-existent.

The ugly -

That rave-cave thing and the endless same-ish products.

Ok, my thoughts

The Good: The EAW microwedge line, very nice pieces of kit.

Also the guys at the Derby Uni stand were excellent. (My thanks to Simon Lewis!) A great course I will certianly be applying to!

The Bad: Soundcraft SI compact. A console that had little common sense!

The ugly: The DJ light studio... just saying...

Also when asking about a fault with a dimmer on the same stand that we still haven't found a solution to the first response was "Let me get my mum" and then a couple of minutes later "It's designed to do that". Really?

When I was at ENTECH this year in Sydney, I had a wonderful chat with the Son , of the owner/ head of Robe on the ULA stand, seems that they had been flown all the way out from the Czech Republic just for Entech.

I was there speccing up equipment for a tour show (Cambridge University European Theatre Group), which probably affected the stuff I was looking at.

Good: Coemar LED profiles in the White Light Zone - variable whites, compatible with Source Four lens tubes and no multi-coloured shadows. GLS SpotOne and WashOne, for very similar reasons but in mover form. The Avolites PowerCube looks excellent for small tours; 24 channels, of which 12 dimmed channels, 6 switch circuits and 6 circuits which can be either dimmed or switched. All in a relatively compact (2x2x2ft) rack. Each set of six channels has two Socapex outputs, and it also comes with a DMX controller with a memory stack in the top if you're REALLY on a budget!

Bad: Granite Sound and Clearcomm's beltpacks. I went to Canford first and they showed me a wire Tecpro unit (and test documentation) that had been drop-tested from a gantry above their warehouse, then run over by a truck, still worked fine with minor cosmetic damage to the case. Granite insisted that their beltpacks were more robust than Canford's and invited me to drop one from chest height onto carpet - the buttons popped out. Clearcomm refused to let me drop one of their wired packs, claiming they "weren't designed to be dropped". Having exposed unreliable products in a wantonly destructive way, I left to go and drool over the LED stuff (see above).

The Ugly: some "interesting" laser installations; no, don't point a Class 4 at shiny shiny truss that's right next to people. There are rules about this stuff, you know.

I was quite impressed with these - especially the Coemars until you tried to focus them. Plastic lens housing that has a thumscrew adjuster to and bottom that needs BOTH to be held to slid the tube. I hate any lantern that needs two hands per feature!

I get the feeling that Coemar know it too - they've designed them so you can put Source Four lens tubes on if you want (see my G/B/U list above)

What do you see as wrong with it? I found it a nice little bit of kit, especially as I was told by one of it's designers that custom fader layers are on the way in the next software update.

I've had an on-site demo recently, and to be honest, I love it!

bad:

source 4 fresnel, everything was just designed to be dificult and both of the demo ones were broken

I saw one of those at PLASA Focus (that worked!) and I quite liked it!

Archived