Leith on the Fringe - stop frame venue build video

John Diamond

Point #5 is a bit, jumpy I feel, the "action" is clearly at quite some distance away, and minimal at best.

#4 I am SO willing to be corrected on this, BEST practice is to harness up in a cherry picker, if your boss says you have to, you have to. HOWEVER, if for whatever reason YOU are happy to go up and not wear one it's your own choice. As for the 2nd bit, you cannot SEE a harness and the angle is crap but who said they don't have one and clip on as they go off? and if they did what is the issue? really I don't see the problem (note I DO NOT work with this kind of thing often/at all) if you have the access there why not use it?

But I would REALLY suggest that if you are going to make comment on the video at least put some time codes on, it is not exactly easy to spot tiny things in a video moving that fast.

"HOWEVER, if for whatever reason YOU are happy to go up and not wear one it's your own choice."

Technically you are right but your RA should show that you have considered work restraint or fall arrest harness and have a good reason not to use one. Just because you don't feel like wearing one isn't quite good enough to prevent the RA being "inadequate" or answer the question "why not" which is what an inspector would ask. Work restraints prevent one being thrown or climbing out of the basket, fall arrests cover one when a work restraint is not used.

In twenty years with BT I only knew one man die at work from anything other than a traffic accident, he fell 10 feet from a MEWP because he failed to clip in which was mandatory. He was 34 years old and left a widow and two kids under 8 years of age and I will never forget that incident. I had passed the job to the platform crew.

Archived