Leith on the Fringe - stop frame venue build video

John Diamond

Nice video - just highlights the lack of Health and Safety. Risk assessment anyone? PASMA training anyone?

Compared to most fringe venues I've seen I think they've done pretty well ;)

Great video and great looking venue :)

Nice! Whats the power distro in the drillhall ?

We got access to a 100A supply from the main incomer from when it used to be an army drill hall/garage. Very handy indeed! 125A temp mains run from front of building to back for venue power.

Working a a treat so far!

id be interestred to see the conraventions of H&s that justify the use of the ALL CAPS,

Too be honest having been in many a festival venue, they generally are run by kids who talk a whole load of H&S ###### but dont know what the safety bar on a zarges is for, The main problem isnt one of one of inexperience but one of thinking you know it all - its safe to bypass a rcd just because all the equipment has been PAT tested , not understanding the concept that if a trips tripping or a fuse blowing it indicates a problem and some basic faultfinding is needed. You can argue with someone who believes that something is electrically safe just because at some previous point a sticker was applied, or that a fixture is safely rigged just because it has a safety on the trunnion rather than the fixture.

Diamiond in my experience are generally sensible and generally work in a manner unlikely to kill anyone, so im not entirely what the beef is with the video, but maybee once the directors cut is released with "risk assesment filed" as one of the deleted scenes we can all be happy.

Diamiond in my experience are generally sensible and generally work in a manner unlikely to kill anyone, so im not entirely what the beef is with the video, but maybee once the directors cut is released with "risk assesment filed" as one of the deleted scenes we can all be happy.

+1 for that.

I've worked for John Diamond on a few occasions in the past and, certainly at those times, we were:

•  
  • TOLD in no uncertain terms to wear steelies, rigging gloves, and such appropriate to the job (and we were checked periodically);
  • clearly briefed on what we had to do;
  • asked for evidence, before getting to the job, if anyone claimed they had forkift/IPAF/etc. tickets.
  • etc.

I'd have no issues about working for John again if I was in that market.

[snip}NO EXCUSE FOR WHAT THEY WERE DOING.

Do enlighten me. I've only had a cursory glance at the video I'll admit; but nothing obvious jumps out at me, although there was one point where someone appeared to stand on one of the Pickers safety bars, there's nothing to say that he wasn't clipped in behind himself, despite the questionable issue of standing on the bar. I'm sure we've all done it.

Having now re-watched the video in its entirety. I kind of see the point TheTechGuru is making, There are a few fairly large issues in there, but nothing that couldn't be rectified with the appropriate word on the QT (so via PM).

The UK Production industry is pretty good at self-regulating, and that relies on communication. So... If you want to bring something to the guy's attention, then drop him a line. The owners of production and rental houses cannot be everywhere all of the time, so you might just be doing them a favour where there are safety issues to be addressed.

Cheers

Smiffy

Some topics such as the practices of fellow professionals are in my humble opinion (humble, me?) not for discussion on an open forum. Diamonds are indeed a good crew (Hi John) and if anyone has any comments then may I suggest PM'ing John with comments which I am sure he would appreciate.

Public criticism of others work can too easily become confrontational.

Just my two pennorth.

Firstly In reply to individuals:

1. Kerry - It is an OPEN Forum, if you stick your head above the parapet be prepared for someone to take a shot at you. I have seen in this forum before, moderators asking people not to PM so that everyone can understand and learn from the forum otherwise what is the point of the Blueroom!

2. AH Young - I have no idea why you are ranting on about electrical safety????

3. jexjexjex - obviously you were not on the Drill Hall Rig!

Secondly in general comment:

1. Up until a few days ago I Had not heard of the company in question - I want to make it clear I have no hidden agenda / vendetta against them, I am simply commenting on the Health and Safety issues on a video put on an open Forum.

2. Everyone would do well to study the difference in H&S when Arena Seating Arrived.

And now the list

1. Scaffolding - No outriggers, no toeboards, missing crossmembers, no pasma certificate on the scaffolding. No one should have been on this scaffolding!

2. At the beginning of the Video people sitting within fall distance of the incorrectly built scaffolding.

3. No one wearing hard hats in general or whilst under (a)trussing moving, (b)standing beside scaffolding with person on the scaffolding, © standing under boom arms.

4. No Safety harness in use - Did I really see someone, towards the end of the video, climb out of the tower and onto the truss without a safety harness!!

5. In the middle of the Video people standing the wrong side of the Hazard tape barrier with backs to the 'action'.

6. Person standing on the top horizontal crossmember of the scaffolding to gain extra height.

7. Difficult to see but I suspect Safety boots were posted missing on the feet of many of the operatives.

Working in the technical side of Theatre rigging is a challenging job and I would recommend it to anyone, however be safe and never put yourself at risk.

A final comment - as of Yesterday the link on Diamond events website to the company Health and Safety information was a dead link!!

Eddy

Good thing about BR, everyone is entitled to their view and Eddy has my admiration for sticking to his guns.

The guys querying his posts need to look at their own approach to H&S at work because besides those he mentions there are a few others that even a quick, non-examinatory viewing show up. I have no intention of giving free lessons in H&S audits, suffice to say that there is a prize for spotting all the problem areas.

That prize could well be your own health, safety and well-being.

It is an OPEN Forum, if you stick your head above the parapet be prepared for someone to take a shot at you.

Well you're right there I suppose.

Also, if you want people to take note of what you say it's probably helpful if they realise that your motives are genuine.

If someone were to jump to the conclusion that you're just being some sanctimonious twerp looking to score points, for example, they'd probably not take what you say as seriously as they possibly should.

Shouty BLOCK CAPITALS are probably rather counterproductive in that regard.

Nice little film, by the way. :)

Do you (Jim, or anyone) know how it was filmed? Video from the beginning, stills taken with an intervalometer, or something else?

I've been trying to get the odd bit of time-lapse footage using a cheapo compact Canon camera and CHDK, but very poor results so far. Mostly because I have a very poor 'eye' I think. Ho hum, can't all be artists can we? ;)

Have to say ive seen a few of these recently where I have seen clearly imcompetent and potentially lethally builds documented for all to see in such an obvious manner that you question why anyone would allow would allow the films to be seen let alone using them to promote the companies services. That hadly applies to this one, I watched it, didnt register anything particulary untoward but then again was looking at what they were installing not how, Ive had at least 3 recent productions timelapsed in the last couple of months by the clients not me { Canon d5 or D7 Dslr if you want the how} and im not particulary worried about being captured doing anything daft, but if every timelapse is going to be examined by the H&S polis im sure you'l see less of them going around, im sure the OP wishes he hadnt bothered....

Archived