Minimum length CD track?

JSalisbury

I know it doesnt help fix the problem - but the minimum track length is 4 seconds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(CD_standard)

I have had problems with other Numark equipment (mainly their DVD players) not reading discs that follow 'the standard'. Think its a bit like how IE doesn't understand correctly written HTML because Micro$oft had an idea that their way might be better than the 'official' way etc.

Nick

Do what Kevin suggests or record a "normal" length track first and the gunshot as track 2. We have a couple of these units knocking around and they are fairly basic. They do play sound FX tracks of a few seconds OK, though I have never done a 10 second CD.

Also you might try adding say a 2 or 3 second silent leader at the time of burning, and making sure it's disc at once.

Might be better to record FX such as a gunshot at the cue point and put the silence AFTER the sound. That way you don't have to faff with cueing up manually.

I have certainly had problems with DJ players not liking CDs burned at too high a speed. PCs tend to cope with data burned at 52x but my (long ago) DJ players wouldn't play anything burned at 24x. Write the CD at 4x (or so) you will take an extra few seconds for the burn but not enough to worry about.

might be better to record FX such as a gunshot at the cue point

The reason I said that is because some CD players have problems autocueing where the track playing address and Start of Audio message are in exactly the same place. It shouldn't matter..but of course, the machine shouldn't actually have problems playing it anyhow. Putting a couple of seconds silent leader (not audio silence...different thing) will set the track playing address to say -00:00:02 and the Start of Audio to 00:00:00 which the player may accept more gladly.

Might be better using decent cd authoring software rather than relying on media player.

I like the audio notion of silent leader except that it could be tricky to fire off the gunshot at the exact instant it was required.

It sort of defeats the object of an instant cue point if, and I am presuming here, this is a visual cue? If not then I don't suppose it would matter and in which case I presume further the actor/cast is/are waiting for their audio cue, ie. the gunshot?

If the latter then silence could be tacked on after the gunshot.

If you get time then it would be interesting to know if the various burn speeds or other brands of media makes any difference.

Archived