Biggest Fans?

sleepytom

I'm looking into a solution to disperse large amounts of smoke (not from a smoke machine)

some kind of large fan(s) with high airflow seems appropriate but I'm not sure what's on the market or even where to look really.

size is not an issue but amount of airflow is as I want to disperse the smoke as quickly as possible.

Ideally hire would be best but I'd consider purchase if necessary.

thanks

Apart from the fan with a big Antonov radial behind it, the biggest FX fans have a VW aircooled engine, make a lot of wind and noise! Put on the brakes or they roll away!

Even with a big fan you may well need to sort out the route by which you want the smoke to leave

Bit of a tounge in cheek reply here but :D

Seen around a few places (Tv, online etc.) Small Jet engines mounted on trailers, for film use, off of old aircraft. Big Enough ** laughs out loud **?

Depends on where the smoke is coming from, and if it is needed for an effect, is maybe a vacuum? to suck close to the source instead of blowing it away.

Do you want a portable fan, like a desk fan but much more powerful ? or do you want a ducted extract fan to remove the smoke to the outside ?

Machine mart have some impressive portable fans, but remember that these will only recirculate the smoke within a space, unless directed towards a large opening.

Depends on application but carpet fans have a fairly decent output from them due to the fact that they are centrifugal fans. Great for smoke machines anyway!

http://www.jtote.com/product_info.php/maxxair-hvcf4000-4000-cfm-high-heavy-duty-carpet-and-floor-drying-fan-p-50068?currency=GBP&osCsid=r8o3atq0c8o6q1d466maibkec3

Thanks for all the replies, some useful leads there.

Show is outdoors and smoke is from pyros. I just want to create a bit of a breeze to disperse the smoke in front of the action. If the weather is kind then it will all be a waste of time. But if it's really still the smoke will badly spoil what we are doing so I'm hoping to try some fans to clear the view a little.

Since starting this thread the machine mart round the corner from my house has put a massive fan in their window display. It seems to cost only a little more than the hss hire price so it is either rubbish or hss are taking the piss (again)

I'm still unsure as to the best airflow methodology. I can't decide if I think it will be better to have some fairly narrow but high speed jets of air or a wider but slower moving air flow? I'm also finding that the specs of fans don't nessacerily tell you anything useful about how channeled their output is. I guess I need to find the budget to rent some different types of fans and test them all.

Archived