EL Wire

avbh81

Has any one got experience of this product. I'm looking to to purchase 15m of red EL Wire with a minimum diameter of 8mm, but most companies are looking for a minimum order of 500m (a little bit costly) Firstly does it work as a tourable solution to neon, and secondly does any one sell it by the metre

We've used some of the smaller diameter stuff for a couple of bits now. Its a bit fiddly to make up, but when done properly we've had no problems with it. I'm not aware of anybody who sells an 8mm dia version off the roll, could you double or triple up a smaller size to give it a bit more bulk? Another trick I have seen is to thread a smaller size into a clear PVC tube to act as a "diffuser", that may work for you?

As far as suppliers go, I've always used Surelight in Sheffield. Ebay may also be worth a look to see if you can get a cheaper price for the larger sizes.

HTH

Computer geeks sometimes mod their case with EL strips. It's just a stick on strip normally about 10mm wide in various colours, a bit like this:

http://www.lighttape.co.uk/Sample/DC12inch.jpg

You can also get cold cathode tubes 12" and 4" long.

When I have used it before I've always bought from Surelight. They sell by the metre and you certainly don't don't need to buy 500M.

I would recommend that you buy cut to the correct length and pre-terminated (it's a bugger.) Do you need it to dim? That is where it gets fun....

Andrew

Has any one got experience of this product. I'm looking to to purchase 15m of red EL Wire with a minimum diameter of 8mm, but most companies are looking for a minimum order of 500m (a little bit costly) Firstly does it work as a tourable solution to neon, and secondly does any one sell it by the metre

EL isn`t the brightest of things to start with and isn`t in same universe as neon for brightness.

Green is actually brightest EL colour , red is created from not bright white with a tinted sleeve.

LED is a better choice if you need it bright.

As musht says (great name btw.) EL is pretty average compared to L.E.D.

We used some similar to mutley's picture for some psychedelic effects in Alice in Wonderland last year, and I personally thought they looked like the emergency light strips on the floor of an aeroplane from the middle row. Maybe I'm over exaggerating a tad, but I know for definite that the LED strips (American DJ IIRC, shockingly) were far superior with a bit of tracing paper over them.

EDIT: typo

Hi,

I have used a large amount of this Product.We had appox 750m of the green EL.

Things to note.

1-It does not like to get damp it any way

2-It does not dim in the way you would expect,basically it's on or off.So have a good think about ambient light or other rerquired lighting that is required when your

EL is on.

3-We had our EL laminated in a clear plastic to give it some more strength and make it more roadworthy.

4-It does kind of look like like Neon but more like LED.

5-You can tour it but bring spares as with any show critical item.

Best Cormac

Archived