Drama and Theatre Technician Interview

That has been one of my concerns Paul, I know I'm up against 2 other blokes so I've my work cut out tomorrow!! I think the one thing I have going in my favour is I can teach and I'm bloody organised. I'm hoping the tech will be on par!! Thank fully I can hold my own when it comes to lifting ant working at height so fingers crossed. In a way actually physically demonstrating what I'm capable of would have been better! God all this stress over a job paying not a great deal!! Good job I love it!!

..and a few 5 pin and 3 pin DMX cables for good measure. You wouldn't believe the people who tried and tried to get 3 pin DMX into a 5 pin socket and needed help..

I tried this ruse during a Year 1, Week 1 basic lighting system set up. I thought it was a great idea, and indeed it was - right up until the dimmer needed a new 5 pin chassis mount DMX input having had a 3 pin XLR pressed against the pins, one of which, of course, snapped when I lightly tried to straighten it again. And it was Pin 1.

Not sure if I'm going to do that next time :(

A learning outcome for everyone, including me.

So I didn't get the job! :-( the tech test was fine, was nervous over nothing really! They just decided to give it to a young lad whom I was told was just that little bit more tech than me.

I have a feeling that it was down to the fact that he lives at home with his mum and lives and breathes the theatre... I've got kids ** laughs out loud ** enough said ** laughs out loud **

I have a feeling that it was down to the fact that he lives at home with his mum and lives and breathes the theatre... I've got kids ** laughs out loud ** enough said ** laughs out loud **

Of course, legally your family situation (or marital status, gender, race, sexuality yadda yadda yadda) should have nothing to do with their appointment decision. It could be anything, perhaps they wanted a tech rather than a teach/organise type, whatever, presumably they were looking to employ the person that they felt fitted the person specification in their eyes.

Whatever it is, going through the process and even doing the tech test can only be a good thing for you in future application situations - especially if you get some useful feedback from the establishment. Well done, glad to hear the test wasn't as onerous as you'd thought. On to the next one, eh.

You do know that they're obliged to give you a full disclosure of how the interview went and their reasons for NOT employing you, yes?

Obviously not a place suitable to the calibre of the name, Cosmic.

Do ask them for feedback as it will add to the experience of interviews. Times are tough and simply making it to interview is pretty good. At least now you will have that extra bit of confidence going into the next one.

I was going to wish you luck but the name is sufficient, luck is not needed. B-)

Sounds like it's a shame they don't appreciate what a bit of maturity brings to the role. I bet if they had had another task on "What would you do if.." based around prioritising and practicalities, then you'd have got the job.

There's also a problem of insecurity too - a weak teacher may want a technician, who may well be not so hot, rather than a strong personality with a much wider industry base. These people are very common in perf arts departments and get overwhelmed by enthusiastic technicians who push for cleverer activities because that's what they love, while the teacher sees it running away and they don't have the knowledge to be able to say no. Education thinks it is a business, yet hasn't the maturity in business management to make correct decisions. I remember somebody who lit their entire show in red - making the video evidence simply horrible because video cameras not do red very well. The real reason was that the technician loved red, and had given them some waffly claptrap reason why it couldn't be what the teacher wanted, and they let them! Let that teacher have a hand in interviews and they'll black ball somebody who seems similar.

Archived