Prop Dust

jameszoo

I am working on a dance show and the choreographer wants to use some kind of dust on stage during the show. Anyone got any idea of what to use that won't irritate the dancers breathing too much? Have tried Climbing chalk so far but it seemed to get inhaled by the dancers!

I think that I'd bounce this one at the choreographer - it's a dance problem, not a technical one. The dancers are going to take a lot of this into their lungs, being an aerobic activity, so I'd want them to select the substance, not me. I can't think of any substance that comes into contact with dirty surfaces that I personally would want in my lungs. The problem is loads of substances might work - but when identifying potential hazards, I'm not competent to say what is safe or not! It could be a medical one.

Paul is quite right - let the talent make the decision on what they want to use, but make sure that THEY are aware of the need to properly risk assess the potential hazards in doing so!

The trouble is, I visited many web sites that identified it as harmless, however (isn't there always one)this data sheet is quite explicit in one area: Section 15

REVISION DATE: 22-Nov-06 - Rev 6

SAFETY DATA SHEET

Fullers Earth

LTP/18

1. IDENTIFICATION OF PRODUCT & COMPANY

Product Name: FULLERS EARTH

Details of company: Lionheart Terracotta Products

Tone Industrial Estate

Milverton Road

Wellington

Somerset

TA21 0AZ

Telephone: 01823 666 213

Fax: 01823 665 685

Email: info@ltp-online.co.uk

1. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Hazardous substances present on their own.

(present in the preparation at a sufficient concentration to give it the toxicological

characteristics it would have in a 100% pure state)

This preparation contains no hazardous substances in this category.

Other substances representing a hazard:

No known substance in this category present.

Substances present at a concentration below the minimum danger threshold

Other substances with occupational exposure limits.

3. HAZARD IDENTIFICATION

This product is not classed as flammable. Refer to the recommendations regarding the other

Products present on the site.

This preparation is not classed as hazardous to health by directive 1999/45/EC.

4. FIRST AID MEASURES

As a general rule, in case of doubt or if symptoms persist, always call a doctor.

NEVER induce swallowing in an unconscious person.

5. FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES

Not relevant

6. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES

Personal precautions:

Consult the safety measures listed under headings 7 & 8.

Environmental precautions

Prevent any material from entering drains or waterways.

Methods for cleaning up

Clean preferably with a detergent, do not use solvents.

Fullers Earth

LTP/18

7. HANDLING AND STORAGE

The regulations relating to storage premises apply to workshops where the product is

handled.

Fire prevention:

Prevent access by unauthorised personnel

8. EXPOSURE CONTROLS

Use personal protection equipment as per Directive 89/686/EEC.

Technical measures:

Personnel shall wear regularly laundered overalls.

9. PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL PROPERTIES

General information:

Physical state: solid in granules

Important health, safety and environmental information:

pH of the substance or preparation: not relevant

The pH is impossible to measure or its value is not relevant.

Boiling point/ boiling range: not relevant

Flash point interval: not relevant

Vapour pressure: not relevant

Density: =1

Water solubility: Soluble

Other information:

Melting point/melting range: not relevant

Self-ignition temperature: not relevant

Decomposition point/decomposition range: not relevant

10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY

The preparation is stable at the handling and storage conditions recommended per section 7

of the safety data sheet.

11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION

The preparation contains no substance classed as hazardous per directive 67/548/EEC

12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION

No ecological data on the product itself is available.

13. DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS

Do not pour into drains or waterways

Waste

Recycle or dispose of waste in compliance with current legislation, preferably via a collector

or company.

Do not contaminate the ground or water with waste, do not dispose of waste into

Environment.

Soiled packaging:

Empty container completely. Keep label(s) on container.

Give to a certified contractor.

14. TRANSPORT INFORMATION

Exempt from transport classification and labelling.

Transport product in compliance with provisions of the ADR for road, RID for rail, IMDG for sea

and ICAO/IATA for air transport (ADR 2005-IMDG 2004-ICAO/IATA 2005)

Fullers Earth

LTP/18

15. REGULATORY INFORMATION

This preparation was classified in compliance with the directive known as <All preparations>

1999/45/EC and its adaptations.

In addition directive 2004/73/EC with the 29oadaptation of directive 67/548/EC (Hazardous

substances) have been taken into account.

This preparation is not classed as hazardous to health by directive 1999/45/EC.

This product is not classed as flammable.

Particular hazards associated with the preparation and safety recommendations:

S22 Do not breathe dust

S51 Use only in well ventilated areas

S 2 Keep out of reach of children

Par measure de securite, utiliser uniquement pour l’ usage prevu et conformement au mode d’emploi.

16. OTHER INFORMATION

Since the user’s working conditions are not known by us, the information supplied on this

safety data sheet is based on our current level of knowledge and on national and community

regulations.

The product must not be used for any purposes other than those specified under heading 1

without first obtaining written handling instructions.

It is at all times the responsibility of the user to take all necessary measures to comply with

legal requirements and local regulations.

The information given on this safety data sheet must be regarded as a description of the safety

requirements relating to our product and not a guarantee of its properties.

Full text of risk phrases appearing in section 2:

This data sheet is compiled to be of assistance but is without guarantee. Users are responsible for safe working.

March 09

Couple of points to be aware of James.

1) The employer makes the RA not the employee. (Unless the employee is expert AND agrees to do it.)

2) If you are at all unsure then you don't do it. Simply by asking here for advice shows that both one and two apply.

Anything you use will have hazards and the risk of a severe asthma attack is not one to be contemplated. Been there, done that, went along in the ambulance as well.

Is there ANY safe airborne particulate? The only dance of this style that comes to mind is the sand dance and that was not really prone to becoming airborne.

I've just asked my nephew Davie Dimmers who works with a dance studio, and he says that the best way to make a lot of airborne dust quickly is to put a compressed air line into the choreographers leotard crotch. He did mention that it makes a rather odd smell though.

Does the choreographer specifically want a particulate that can be kicked up or would any low lying effect do? I'm thinking that low fog in the right situation would work if it fits with the choreographers vision for the piece.

Josh

Have to agree with what the above have said. The only thing I can think of would be climbers chalk, but wouldn't want to clean up after that.

Having just finished a production of Midsummer Night's Dream that involved lots of this stuff do not use it. The cleaning up of it is ridiculous, it get's everywhere! And I can't imagine anything like that is going to be good for the lungs.

Usual disclaimer about not being medically qualified.

I know this topic is getting a tad old. but thought I would share my recent experience..

The dancers used chalk (covered it all over clothes which were worn for that dance.. ) it an amazing effect!

BUT.

it covered everything! and I mean everything.. a really bad day to take my camera in.

it left us hoovering for a few days after.

the stage was a right mess!.. in fact the whole place was!

I didn't have any problems with breathing.. and there were no complaints from cast.. even my contact aided eyes didn't have a problem ( and the theatre's usual dust can set my eyes off)

not something I would want to experience a lot of times in the future..

Archived