Chavet Intimidator blowing Bulbs???

Goochie

Hi Guys,

I have 2 Chauvet Intimidators (scanners) both pretty new and mint condition, as part of my rig, one is fine but the other is blowing a bulb every gig. the bulb lasts around 2 hours at Max. I changed the ceramic lamp holder as standard (which is the usual reason for blown bulbs) But the problem is still there.

has any one any idea what could be causing this? and any repair idea's???

I have tried to contact Chauvet but their website is bloody useless!

Any and all help much appreciated.

Goochie. :huh:

Are you using branded replacement lamps from a reputable supplier? There are plenty of cheap lamps on the market that look OK but don't last long. Philips lamps, for example, have a stated life expectancy, and there are several different types with increasing prices to match; even the cheapest should last 50 hours. At the other extreme, some cheapo knockoffs blow as soon as they are powered up...

Does the lamp failure occur during the gig, or do you find that the fixture is broken next time you go to use it? If it's the latter, could be mishandling (fixture not allowed to cool properly before being moved) or it could be a lamp retaining clip that's too tight and is overstressing the lamp.

What exactly do the blown lamps look like - are the blown filaments snapped or melted? (Snapped = vibration problem; melted = overvoltage or intermittent power connection)

If it's the second type of failure, check every connection in the fixture that's carrying power. If there are any crimped connections, give them a good hard pull to see if they are made correctly. There may also be a voltage selector on the transformer - if it offers a choice, set it to 240 rather than 220 or 230 volts.

Does the fixture have an in-built lamp dimmer circuit with a thyristor / SCR? These have been known to fail and supply excess voltage.

The only other thing I can suggest is to put a voltmeter on the lamps of each of your 2 fixtures, to see if they're the same.

Hey Guys,

many many thanks for your reply's much appreciated!

I will check all of those points out tonight when I get it on a bench. I only use good quality bulbs, phillips usually. Yes they always blow During the gig. I replace it at home then run for at least 30 mins to test and works fine, during a gig tho when its running longer it blows.

I have spoken to the chap at Chauvet UK and the only thing he came up with is that Chauvet USA supplied some of these units with the wrong transformer in them. The USA 110 volt supplies type, so I will check that out first.

Then go on to all the points you guys very kindly pointed out again many thanks.

Wish me luck....

Goochie.

So guys have unit on bench.

Firstly the Chauvet chap said check transformer info as it might have an american voltage one fitted.

Sticker on trans say this;

280va - 120x2

I/P 120v.......0v 120v..........0v

white blue brown black

O/P 24v............12v..........0v

red blue yellow

These markings do make me think this is for an american 120voltage????? Dunno what do you guys think?

Bulb when removed was clean as a whistle, didn't look blown had to put meter accross to make sure, no signs of any damage at all (Osram) bulbs used.

So I now have been running unit for over an hour just with meter installed in lamp holder and its constantly changing from 24v to 23.5 at lowest hovering between 23.7 & 23.8 mainly, never settles on a constant voltage tho. is this normal guys?

So far thats all I've managed to ascertain, any more help Guys would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Goochie.

280va - 120x2 I/P 120v.......0v 120v..........0v These markings do make me think this is for an american 120voltage????? Dunno what do you guys think?

its a dual primary,with both windings in parralel its set for 120V,with the windings in series its set for 240v.

You really need some comparisons between the good one and the bad one, a single test may not show the fault.

Open both of them side by side, are they both the same. Are all the cooling airways the same do the fans sound the same, do both lamps put the same voltage on the lamps.

Is there any provision for centering the lamps? One lamp in the wrong place by a few mm may force the lamp to run too hot.

Thanks Guys,

I only have the one with me at the Mo, still on bench running at 23.8v 23.9v more than an hour n half so far, alternating quite fast but never really going over 24.1v.

I will spend tommorrow evening with both of them running side by side.

fan seems to be running ok, only damage to bulb was some 'pitting' around base of pins, I replaced ceramic holder last time I changed bulb so I know its a good connection.

Goochie.

A common mistake is to put a lamp with pitted connections back into a new clean socket. It will cause slight arcing and potentially cause lamp pinch failure due to the heat of the connections.

Oh, and just because it's a high profile brand doesn't mean it's a good lamp. All the manufacturers have their bad batches.

Are both fans working in the same direction (i.e. both blowing into the unit or sucking out of it)? I don't know the particular fixture so I don't know what direction it should be but they should both be the same.

Dave

If you're running with the meter in the lamp socket, you're not loading the transformer - you need to measure the voltage across the lamp with the lamp lit - you may have to rig up a temporary lamp socket, and be careful not to burn yourself! I still suspect an intermittent connection somewhere in the 24v part of the fixture, is the supply to the lamp AC straight from the transformer? If so, the transformer itself may be suspect. If it's DC, then there's also the rectifier and smoothing capacitors that could be faulty.

You also say in your original post that it's a nearly new fixture, does it have any warranty left, if so then sending it back to Chauvet may be the best option. You also need to try at least one lamp from a different maker to ensure you don't have a bad batch, the fact that you can't see any failure in the lamp may indicate this.

So the story goes on......** laughs out loud **

I have second unit on bench and sure enough they have two different transformers, one 240v, and on 120v x 2, wired in series I think.

I again spoke to Chauvet today and their tech guy seems to think this will be the problem, I will call them tommorrow and let them know about different transformers which is what they suggested problem might be in first place. Hopefully they can send me a new one, if not anyone got any idea's as to where to get one?

Have checked all connections and replaced lamp holder again and bulb and have unit running now 30 Mins so far so good...... going to see just how long this one lasts.

Both fans are running in same direction, outwards from unit, and working fully. Which brings me onto a Tip I was given a couple of years ago from the Tech guy who does all 'Abstract' lighting repairs, what he said he tends to do is remove fan and turn them over so they are sucking cold air into unit and blowing it across bulb as opposed to sucking warm air out of unit, he said this tends to keep bulbs cooler and thus last longer. What do you guys think about this?? Good idea or not? I have not done this yet, but if over heating is an issue surely its worth a look?

What do you think guys???

Thanks again

Goochie.

Have checked all connections and replaced lamp holder again and bulb and have unit running now 30 Mins so far so good...... going to see just how long this one lasts.

Oh well that bulb lasted just under two hours!

So we now know that problem is not with any connections from transformer or bulb holder, So I'm guessing it has to be Transformer.

In answer to another question earlier Bulb is Fed 24v AC direct from Transformer.

• 1 month later...

So the latest............

recieved a new transformer today from Chauvet, had to drill casing to accommodate as it was slightly smaller in size but light is again working, 30 mins so far, lets see how long this bulbs lasts, 90 mins was record with previous transformer which Chauvet say was the problem. so here we go .................watch this space......

So the latest............

recieved a new transformer today from Chauvet, had to drill casing to accommodate as it was slightly smaller in size but light is again working, 30 mins so far, lets see how long this bulbs lasts, 90 mins was record with previous transformer which Chauvet say was the problem. so here we go .................watch this space......

well light is still running and seems to be Ok, watch it blow as I write this, ha ha ha

Only thing is it STINKS, should a new transformer smell like this, new sort of getting hot smell, bit like when you have brand new exhaust on your motor, if ya get what I mean, should this happen?????

unit case doesnt seem too hot, just usual heat from bulb.

Stinking the house out.......................

If transformer is getting very hot then it may be under-rated for the lamp and will burn out with a sickly honey smell as the windings cook.

Don't assume that because it came from the manufacturer that it's the right component.

Sometimes new transformers do just make a strong smell when they are first used though. It's residual lacquer chemicals being liberated by the heat.

leave it running longer and see if the transformer suddenly dies or blows the fuse.

Archived