what does lx mean

lxjoe

I know what what a lx does but I don't know what the x stands for. I know ld means: lighting designer. I have been one before but I do not undersatnd what lx stands for.

I am really struggling how to imagine you being a "lighting designer" if you don't know what LX stands for .....

I know what what a lx does but I don't know what the x stands for. I know ld means: lighting designer. I have been one before but I do not undersatnd what lx stands for.

I am really struggling how to imagine you being a "lighting designer" if you don't know what LX stands for .....

What does it stand for then?

What does it stand for then?

it stands for Electrics or the "spell it as it sounds" "Elecs", as yes indicated above .

I despair, I really do...

OP, according to your profile you're on an industry related course and are attached in some way to a theatre, yet are here asking such basic questions as this?

Sorry - we don't mind basics being queried, but this one sort of takes the biscuit.

Mods - I rather think we've done and overdone this biscuit - dancing locks??

To quickly get in one more definition before mods close the thread ; )

LX is definitely "Electrics" but if someone asks for "LX" as an item it'd typically be "electrical tape" or "insulating tape" (that lovely multi-coloured PVC stuff that has 1000s of uses from coiling cables neatly, marking stages, marking desks, marking well anything other than cast really ;))

Ynot makes a good, and worrying point though ...

Some interesting replies...here's another one and it's all to do with saving time and possibly money.

We used to use "terms" such as tx which would stand for transmission or possibly even transmitter or (to use "proper" BBCspik) certain shortwave transmitters were known as "Senders", a hangover from Colonial days no doubt. These transmissions would also be known as "bx" which meant broadcast....which in turn would be picked up on an rx which would mean receiver. It might mean also reception. After a few months indoctrination into an organisation you would just know the context.

In short (groan) the "x" represented the rest of the word. It may have been used as a device to save money on telegrams by other organisation across the planet in days gone by, aeons before the internet arrived and cheaper communication charges.

On thing is certain, LX is not unique in any sense of the word. It is just quicker to say or write LX than Lighting Electrician....electrician or sparkie or stage sparks. Same as LD is quicker than Lighting Designer.

It may be the OP has not come across the term because the "tutor" does not use it. However if the OP and similar folk had "work" experience from the school/amdram/volunteer route then he or she would be more likely to be au fait with said terms anyway.

In short (groan) the "x" represented the rest of the word. It may have been used as a device to save money on telegrams by other organisation across the planet in days gone by, aeons before the internet arrived and cheaper communication charges.

Pax for passenger is another example. I think you are almost certainly right about the telegram business. Indeed many firms with substantial export trades had codes where an entire spec could be described in a two or three word cable.

(For example I wonder if Kerry could work out what Savages would have supplied in response to this order? One Colonial Oriel One Sixtral Trackless!)

Archived