broken condenser or broken phantom... how to tell?

gnomatron

I have a condenser mic that seems to have stopped working for no apparent reason - an sm86. It was working fine last time I used it a couple of weeks ago but now I can't get anything out of it at all. I'm unsure whether it's the mic itself or phantom power on the desk - can anyone suggest any simple way to check, WITHOUT using another condenser mic or another desk, as I don't have easy access to either at the moment...!

I also tried the mic on a firewire audio interface but can't get phantom to turn on on the interface - or at any rate get the indicator led to turn on. This worries me, is it possible that the mic itself has some fault that's trashing phantom power on these bits of kit?

It could be drawing more power than the phantom power supply can deliver? Got a test meter? stick it between pins 1 and 2 and then 1 and 3 - you should have volts on both.

If there is a a fault - more likely to be in the cable than the mic or mixer, if they were previously working?

Stick some short lengths of wire into the mixer XLR (be careful not to let them touch) and measure across those. Doing it your way, it could still be either the cable or the mixer. Paul is right that the cable is the likely problem but it's worth just going one more step to be sure.

(Or, I guess you could do pin to pin tests on the cable itself. If that fails then you have a culprit.)

Bob

This mixer has a recessed push switch for the global Phantom, with an associated LED.

But this LED is powered from the +15 volt supply - so doesn't 'prove' that the +48 volt Phantom supply is indeed present.

In fact your measurement on the XLR seems to prove that it is NOT actually present!

So contact A&H Tech support - from whom you will get great help, or contact your nearest A&H Service Centre, who will be able to help - this might be me in the SW of the UK!

I'd agree... looks like its time to box it up and let someone have a look inside and see what they can find...

Again, first port of call can be the place you bought it from or direct to A&H..

Dont forget to post here what the problem was once its solved... we like to know for future incase it happens to us ;)

It does seem like it's probably the phantom on the desk. when I said it was "definitely" switched on I should have been clearer - the switch is definitely in the on position with the led on... I know better than to assume that means it's working! :) Good to know that the led isn't on the same power supply though.

I don't have a spare desk available and I can live with using a 58 instead - it's just for the odd preshow announcement - so there's no chance of getting it repaired any time soon, sadly. Thanks for all the help folks!

As it's global phantom, is anything else holding the phantom down? For example; is there anything plugged in that has pin one linked to pin three -maybe a mono jack somewhere... If there was an unbalanced component then the phantom may even close down (correctly) to prevent something dying.

Archived