Looking for a projector

Stig

A friend of mine is looking for projector to buy for a show that is going on tour next week. They don't need anything to fancy but have specified 2000 lumin output. They are rehursing in London this week but will be moving to Birmingham next week before starting the tour.

I know its a little late notice but they have been let down by a supplier. Does anyone know of, or have a projector for sale.

Cheers if anyone can help!!!!

I Recently bought an Infocus LP500 form Technoworld. It is 2000 Lumens and fairly quiet. I did have a problem where the projector PSU died after a week but Infocus shipped a new projector from Belgium within 24 hours under warranty. For £1200 it is not a bad purchase although the image alignment options are a bit limited and the max data resolution is 800x600, however the LP530 does 1024x768 but costs £2800 which I felt was a bit steep for what you get. Technoworld do have loads of other projectors on their site and the prices are fairly reasonable (The Sanyo small projectors are worth a look) hope this helps, Peter :stagecrew:

Technoworld - Infocus LP500

My local Amdram just bought an LP500 for £980 on Ebay and it was brand new and included a spare lamp (£300 each!) It seems a good projector, although I'll give you better information about it next week once we've used it in performance. One thing to note it was it only has composite or VGA inputs as standard - to get RGBHV or BNC connections, you have to buy the expansion system.

HTH

Peter

One thing to note it was it only has composite or VGA inputs as standard - to get RGBHV or BNC connections, you have to buy the expansion system

You can buy cables off the shelf to split VGA into RGBHV on 5xBNCs so it's fairly trivial.

If you are looking for a projector to fly use caution as not all desktop lcd's can cope with being inverted. also think about the optics do you need it to shoot from the bottom of the screen , top of screen or in the middle?

We are a supplier of sanyo projectors (all ranges) feel free to give us a call our details are on our website. qav webpageIf you need any advice feel free to call as we offer it freely to all comers. :stagecrew:

YMMV but most modern projectors I've come across have facilities to invert the image for rear projection or ceiling mount operation, and a usable keystone distortion correction facility. The most useful features that you will find lacking on all but the most expensive projectors are complete blackout facility (rather than just dark grey) and a wired remote control. But hey, you pays your money...

The most useful features that you will find lacking on all but the most expensive projectors are complete blackout facility (rather than just dark grey)

I've spent many a happy hour rigging up black out cards and running bits of string to the box to operate them.

I've spent many a happy hour rigging up black out cards and running bits of string to the box to operate them.

Or you could do the "We Will Rock You" thing and pop a scroller (with varying degrees of ND filters) on the front..... I'll get my coat

A nameless friend recentley hired a douser to stick infront of an lcd. In an attempt to achieve blackout, then wondered why he had big vertical bars running down the image!? DOH! we resorted to the cardboard flag option much cheaper and worked with out fault :stagecrew:

Re inverting desktop lcd's yes many will have the invert and rear projection settings but they are not always ment to run like that as manafacturers tend to bring out firmware updates much quicker than hardware mods. so you may have all the bells and whisles but they may not have changed the fan paths in the unit. This may not affect performance but will reduce lamp life.

Also the keystone issue you may be able to achieve quite alot with keystone but the thing to remember is that the lens defines where you will need to place the projector. If you have a machine with asymetric optics then you can stick it in line with the top edge of the surface that you are projecting on to. where as if you have symetrical optics you will need to stick it in line with center of the screen. This means that if you are front projecting with an asymetric lens, this will alow you to hide the projector up in your grid where as the other way round you will end up with a dirty great noisey projector on the end of unicol pole just above your punters heads! giving rise to Whats that hum? Cor! look at that up there! and wags with ir enabled toys who insist with playing with them during the performance and turning the thing off!

Am I the only one who finds unicol difficult to work with. Recentley had to install two 50 inch plasmas suspended from a ceiling and trying to get the holes in the pole and the bracket to line up was a right pain. any one found an ingenious way of doing this?

Am I the only one who finds unicol difficult to work with. Recentley had to install two 50 inch plasmas suspended from a ceiling and trying to get the holes in the pole and the bracket to line up was a right pain. any one found an ingenious way of doing this?

Yes it is really quite simple, offer to go and get everyone a coffee just before it is time to go anywhere near a unicol, with any luck they will have finished by the time that you get back. :P :stagecrew:

Peter

We had someone in the other day who had a flag (made out of a flattened coke can covered in Blacktak) operated by a windscreen wiper motor, all attatched to a car battery. This was bolted in an amazingly heath robinson way to the projector cradle. It was pretty good really, if not the most beautiful piece of engineering I've seen.

Archived