Website Copying!

RobertKendall

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The text does indeed speak for itself, as do the copyright dates at the bottom of the two pages.

My vague understanding of the law is that you would be entitled to issue a "cease and desist" order but that damages would only be payable if you could prove they have cost you money. However, I'd make a point of grabbing screen shots as evidence (or maybe have an independent 3rd party grab shots too), just in case.

However, I fear that this is a case where you need advice from a lawyer, not a forum for technicians.

Bob

"Copyscape Plagiarism Checker - Duplicate Content Detection Software. Search for copies of your page on the web. " -- from Copyscape.com website.

In the UK the Copyright Design and Patent act gives you some rights but you have to find breaches of your rights first! Copyscape (dot com) will assist in finding direct copies of text, so far I am unaware of a means of checking for image copying (but likely there is one).

Should you find copied text, your actions are up to you and at your expense. A cease and desist letter sometimes works, or, in trade with consumers, use of the consumer protection laws may help as would your trading standards department. Sadly after that it is hugely expensive to take civil proceedings.

Sadly many people simply see the web as a source of rights free content, and a means of circulating text (even books) without regard to the rights in the works.

Even if you could pin down the culprit, then what? Suppose, for argument's sake, said culprit operated from one country and their servers were in other countries, accent on the plural.

What international laws would you use, could you afford lawyers, can you be arsed to wait months, possibly years for a decision...perhaps they appeal? You certainly won't be the only person with this particular problem.

Now, if you take up Bobbsy's sound advice to discuss with lawyers who are schooled in internet copyright issues, possibly cross border, you would have to pay. You might enquire as to how many successful outcomes these lawyers secured of even know of.

Jivemaster's last sentence sums it up very neatly. Basically if someone goes down the route of ignoring the laws then they are not going to trouble themselves with a request to stop.

And how would you enforce an order anyway? Another thread in the forum mentions super injunctions, yet somehow "clues" appears on Twitter, so by now these "clues" have gone viral and are probably on millions of PC across the planet. As before think Pandora's Box.

I wouldn't be as despondent as ramdram here: a quick whois (http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?query=rkdo.co.uk&WHOIS+Submit.x=27&WHOIS+Submit.y=7) suggests they're another UK based company, so if you do have an issue with them (and I haven't looked into that!) I can see no reason why not to take it up with them perhaps first in person before spending any money on lawyers.

The text isn't exactly the same; you might find they are just on the right side of legal. I guess it would depend on what your copy right states is acceptable as a copy, whether it needs to be paraphrased exactly or if similarities also count. You could just email them asking if they could make it less obvious they've copied your website? Might work...

Tim

I know the web designer, he lives and work within 10miles of us! a few months ago they copied another lighting company's "people" page even to the extent of apply the "nick names" on the lighting company's website to each of there people.

All three people on their "people page" had adopted the "nick names" of the other company!

In that case I'd be inlined to contact him (and looking at the 'company') his parents, and give him a good virtual slapping.

And on that note, it's full of typo's, and why do people insist on making their sites public before they are anywhere near finished?!

Rant over.

I'm a bit confused - Am I looking at the same sites? I can't find very much similar at all - can somebody point me to where the problems are?

Paul

I'm probably a bit thick - but they look very different, have different navigation headings and the content of one has prices and the other doesn't - one has links the other doesn't - er what ...........

Personally I can't see the similarities (I'm probably being particularly thick) so assuming they haven't removed the text in question the first course of action I'd take is to send them a message via their contact page asking them politely to remove it. If the designer has written the content on the website for them then they might not even be aware that the text has been taken from elsewhere.

Failing that, a quick whois search reveals their host is a company called "BigWetFish" whose contact form is here. Most web hosts don't take too kindly to having stolen content on their servers so it would probably be removed rather quickly one way or another.

Josh

perhaps since this thread has started some ground has been made and it has been changed.

looks that way according to there twatter thing on the right hand of the site

"the new website is nearly there!.. www.regensound.co.uk" about 9 hours ago

If this thread has achieved the aim of separating two companies by their www then fine. However in some cases the web HOST will assist as they commit a technical offence by hosting copied works and allowing them to be publicly accessed, so a call to the web host for plaguarist websites can be effective.

Archived