Silent Disco Systems

TallMike

Silent disco.

You have a disco but with no PA system, instead the punters are issued with headphones.

Some systems have selectable channels on the headphones so you can have more than one DJ/music source and they can switch between them.

Something of an antisocial activity..... :rolleyes:

Oh, the headphones are wireless!!!!! That's quite important... ;)

EDIT TO ADD MORE: B-)

It's soul destroying for a party/personality DJ, as you don't get much feedback from the punters. In a multi-channel setup you don't know who's listening to what, and you can have any kind of interaction with those who are not wearing headphones.... or encourage people to listen to 'your' signal.

You will NEVER get the same atmosphere as a conventional gig with a PA that everyone can hear and only ONE DJ speaking at a time :(

You're not familiar? Oh, they're fun!

Instead of a big PA system, everyone gets a little reciever pack and headphones, they put them on and dance, some systems can choose different sources so you can all dance together to different music in the same room.

The odd experience is of course taking your headphones off mid-dance!

Anyway, I need to source the kit (buy, not rent)!

For Ynots benefit... :)

A silent disco is one where all the participants wear wireless headphones with music in. They then all dance to the musac.

Don't get it myself, although having worked on some a few years back as a steward, they are very easy to police.

E2A: Thoroughly beaten to it....

Don't get it myself, although having worked on some a few years back as a steward, they are very easy to police.

I bet its amusing when someone starts singing along.

I know some big festivals have silent discos, might be worth contacting them direct to see where their equipment comes from?

Tim

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

I have indeed heard of the practice, though didn't equate it to the title immediately - thanks for everyone who's put me straight.

I have to admit I'm not sure I'd be in the "It's fun" camp - It does sound rather antisocial, although some of the discos I went to when I were a lad were perhaps as bad - conversation wasn't really an option, though perhaps it's never the idea in the first place...

I now have a mental picture of a teen couple getting together for the slow dance, and becoming etangled with the headphone to receiver cable, and being trapped for the evening.....

:** laughs out loud **:

Might be of some use I dont know, I am sure that Reading/Glasto has a silent disco tent a bit of digging may find the supplier.

At the sametime Just a quick google found a few hire places / places to buy, I am sure if you gave them a call they would be able to point you in the right direction.

All the FR events use the original Silent Disco people as their suppliers / operators - www.silentdisco.com

Unless you've got a LOT of work I'd suggest partnering up with one of the existing (experienced) operators - there's a lot more to it than just running some wireless cans and the proper operators I've worked with have all had solutions in place for all the problems people have highlighted in this thread. You could save a lot of capital outlay and 2-300 events worth of learning by subbing in an existing company.

We're not actually doing a silent disco - it's for a sort of 'commentator' system for a large event.

Financially it looks like buying is an option, it runs for a month. I understand the headsets are cheap and chinese usually?

I'm really looking for makes / models that people know of.

At work we have them on allot for certain weekends, we own then - but a generic leading brand of cola type drink ''sponsored'' the events, literally just has there logo on each ear. Maybe worth looking into, will try to find manufacture info of them,

toby

I'm sure there are some PA companies around that could supply a few hundred IEM receivers and a transmitter. Licencing wouldn't be too expensive given the number of frequencies used, even over the course of a month.

Archived