Any Flymen/women/people on here?

d.breeze

Hello

I could do with a crash course on the basics of running a fly floor in a theatrical environment. If anyone fancies PMing me with their willingness to answer stupid questions that would be great. I'm a bit of a novice in this field and need to bone up quickly!

Many thanks.

Hmmm...

I suggest you get yourself along to a venue that actually has the type of fly floor you are likely to be looking at and get them to show you the ropes (literally).

BUT bear in mind that this, as in all things, doesn't mean that you'll be a competent flyman after just the one session. Otherwise it really might be a 'crash' course with someone on deck suffering the effects of such a crash...

What are your questions? There's plenty here who know their stuff, and if its done in open forum then the answers are here for the next person :)

I wouldn't call myself a flyman, but I know most of the theory behind running a flyfloor.

What are your questions? There's plenty here who know their stuff, and if its done in open forum then the answers are here for the next person :)

Yeah good point, I went down the PM route because I didn't want to 'litter' the forum with lots of silly questions. But of course that's the whole point!

BUT bear in mind that this, as in all things, doesn't mean that you'll be a competent flyman after just the one session.

I completely agree. I don't necessarily need to become a flyman, and if I did I would of course have to get hands on. I just essentially need to know what one actually does.

So essentially, my question is: on a day to day basis, what does a flyman do? What would the job description for a flyman look like?

I'm sure I will think of lots of other questions to follow people's answers.

Thanks in advance.

edit: I'm knackered and keep typing the wrong words

I just essentially need to know what one actually does.

So essentially, my question is: on a day to day basis, what does a flyman do? What would the job description for a flyman look like?

This is starting to look rather like a typical homework question to me... except that your profile doesn't say you are a student.

I just essentially need to know what one actually does.

This is starting to look rather like a typical homework question to me... except that your profile doesn't say you are a student.

I'm definitely not a student, spent far too much time doing that already and I don't intend to go back! Learning is much more effective in the real world than the classroom.

It is in essence homework, but homework I have set for myself.

Then I am confused...

Your OP said

I could do with a crash course on the basics of running a fly floor in a theatrical environment.

Can you be a bit more specific on just what you want or need or have to do regarding theatrical flying? That might go a LONG way to helping you get the answers you want, either on the board or by PM.

Then I am confused...

Your OP said

I could do with a crash course on the basics of running a fly floor in a theatrical environment.

Can you be a bit more specific on just what you want or need or have to do regarding theatrical flying? That might go a LONG way to helping you get the answers you want, either on the board or by PM.

Well it all stems from trying to get more work. I have some freelance work at the moment, but not really enough. Some of the positions of employment I have looked at that I would like to do haven't come out successfully as my knowledge is lacking in certain areas. I started my professional life as a sound engineer at small cap. music venues and have expanded from their. Nearly all of my experience is in an audio or other technical role working with music/comedy/corporate events and I have practically nil theatre experience. I am trying to gain theatre experience but of course you cannot gain theatre experience without gaining theatre knowledge.

In essence I am trying to fill gaps in my knowledge to allow me to gain more experience, to fill gaps in my knowledge, to gain more experience. I do not have a particular desire to be a flyman (though I wouldn't turn it down) but there are certain jobs I have gone for where I would need to know what a flyman does in order to properly do the job. I have been filling my down time with lots of reading and various training courses to fill in the blanks, but as of yet I have not looked at flying.

I would be happy to accept any recommended reading as well, if any books on the subject exist? My bed-time reading of late as been all about rigging and truss work, again to expand on existing knowledge and fill in some blanks.

a phone call to the playhouse or the alhambra might be in order, I have found them very helpful in the past, if its a quiet period, they might even let you go in for a chat/look at their systems.

The Grand also has fly, but an automated system, very flash (and very nice) also been helpful in the past.

a phone call to the playhouse or the alhambra might be in order, I have found them very helpful in the past, if its a quiet period, they might even let you go in for a chat/look at their systems.

The Grand also has fly, but an automated system, very flash (and very nice) also been helpful in the past.

yeah that might be worth a try, althought I'm always hesitant asking strangers for favours. Do you know any names of people at the play house or Alhambra that I'd need to speak to?

yeah that might be worth a try, althought I'm always hesitant asking strangers for favours. Do you know any names of people at the play house or Alhambra that I'd need to speak to?

Cabbageworks on Millennium Square also has a counterweight system on their main stage if I'm not mistaken!

If you are looking to start as a flyman, the chances are that you will not be put on the fly floor, you will go straight to the loading gallery. Bring a book, and listen carefully to the instructions that the flyman gives you. You may have to assist getting the heavy pieces out, but mostly you will be piling in the waits on the load-in, then taking them back out again on the load-out. Simple really.

Never ever forget this though, you are working in the most dangerous place in the theatre whilst utilising the flying system.

I'm very old school, and the most important thing to realise it is all down to experience. I've trained scores of people in all aspects of flying over the years. It's one of those things you need to have the right kind of "feel" for. The idea of a "crash" course is not good, it's something you need to learn and appreciate what you're doing, and what the consequences of mistakes can be!

The Playhouse people are lovely - I wandered in off the street and said "hi, I'm a stage manager from New Zealand, is there any chance I could have a look around your venue?" and the receptionist phoned one of the SMs who gave me the grand tour, and then invited me back the next day to sit in on a technical rehearsal. I reckon they'd probably be OK about letting you observe a show on the flyfloor if you ask them!

Archived