Any Flymen/women/people on here?

d.breeze

a phone call to the playhouse or the alhambra might be in order, I have found them very helpful in the past, if its a quiet period, they might even let you go in for a chat/look at their systems.

The Grand also has fly, but an automated system, very flash (and very nice) also been helpful in the past.

yeah that might be worth a try, althought I'm always hesitant asking strangers for favours. Do you know any names of people at the play house or Alhambra that I'd need to speak to?

The Playhouse people are lovely - I wandered in off the street and said "hi, I'm a stage manager from New Zealand, is there any chance I could have a look around your venue?" and the receptionist phoned one of the SMs who gave me the grand tour, and then invited me back the next day to sit in on a technical rehearsal. I reckon they'd probably be OK about letting you observe a show on the flyfloor if you ask them!

Thanks, that's great to know and gives me a bit more confidence cold calling theatres :)

• 2 weeks later...
hi, ive flown for a 77 show panto, this christmas just gone, it was hemp flying, hard work, no counterwaits but fun, best thing as most people are saying is enquire at theatres that need flyme, gain experience that way. I one day would also like to be working in bigger theatres but just never had the opening yet, best of luck, and enjoy the work, thats the most important thing

Archived