show relay system

jimbobstc

im looking to set up a show relay system but aint git a clue were to start

our theatres a pros arch theatre with capacity of 320ish

looking to mount camera house right bout 20ft from stage

tvs would be prompt side first floor studio and office and 2 in uder ground dressing areas

any advice?

- Get a camera which can cope with low light levels. It might be useful to get one which switches to infra-red when light drops below a certain level.

- You'll need a decent video splitter. I'd be going for composite feed - it should serve you pretty well, given your purposes.

- I've always preferred CRTs for this kind of purpose - for whatever reason I just think they work better than LCD screens.

just to add to Gridgirls comments. Mayby the use of two camera's would be worth while. A few venue I have worked in use a normal colour feed from a camera that can cope with low light as well as an infra-red camera. The idea is that the infra red will be of use to the likes of the flyman or crew that need to have a good view of the stage during the dark and the colour feed, though not entirely accurate, will give a good overview of the performance for things such as production overview or to observe the effectivness of certain aspects of the show.

How useful is a camera mounted house right? Surely it would be more useful to put it centre?

Depends on the space (although I note the OP mentioned it being a pros arch house, which validates your point!) - the Court in Christchurch (well, pre-earthquake...who knows if they'll be back there) is a very wide, shallow auditorium and stage and a camera mounted centre just would not have picked up all the stage, so it was mounted house right and picked up almost all the stage by shooting at an angle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
the reason is for the camera stage right atm is because its not that powerful and putting it at the back of the auditorium reduces the quality drastically. so anyone got any links as to what camera would be best? and were would I find a decent video splitter?

It's "not very powerful". Could you expand on that? Normally you wouldn't refer to the power of a camera.

If you find that putting the camera at the rear of the auditorium is "reducing the quality drastically", then you should invest in some decent low loss TV coaxial cable to run the video over. RG6 should be more than suitable.

Your posts suggest that you already have a camera, then you ask for recommendations. We have been here before, have a search of the forums as to what people have recommended. Generally a reasonable CCTV style camera works well.

Archived