Scam Alert - European City Guide

Brian

Heads.

Just opening the business post and found a document entitled 'European City Guide'. It looks like a data collection exercise to compile a CD-ROM of business names and addresses but it is in fact an order for 997.00 Euro to have your business listed.

Heads.

Just opening the business post and found a document entitled 'European City Guide'. It looks like a data collection exercise to compile a CD-ROM of business names and addresses but it is in fact an order for 997.00 Euro to have your business listed.

Contact your local trading standards as they sometimes pursue these or issue a local press release to warn others.

We get this type of thing quite frequently, also by email.

If you inadvertently fell for the scam and signed on the dotted line, it's difficult to see how the perpetrators could ever enforce the alleged debt. I can't imagine them turning up at the County Court to argue their case.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reminded of this thread when I got another of these by email:

Add "Europe Business Guide" to your list of people to be suspicious of. I get a great number of them by email, generally to addresses that make sense only if it's being sent by an automated process: customercare@tracelighting.com is not an obvious choice otherwise! Very similar idea: email makes no reference to charging, then there's an attached form, with small print telling you it's an order and that you're bound by their terms available on a website my antivirus won't even let me visit...

...the legal system in a far country, in that language and by their traditions.

In this case it's Spain.

It seems the company behind it are well versed in this practice... More.

Spain is part of the EU, as is the UK, believe it or not :D and are all governed by EU law for this type of scam.

Cheers

Gerry

Their mistake was getting greedy. Keep it under £100 and an awful lot of large-ish companies would probably just pay it without noticing. Even if only one in a hundred pay, they can still make a lot of money with scams like this.

Bob

Archived