Is there a simple single button operated programmable DMX controller?

lankygit

Apologies if I'm asking the obvious here, I'm a bit of a DMX noob.

I want to program a DMX light show in advance, then when it's running have several points where it pauses until a button is pressed and it moves on.

I'm quite happy to do the programming on a laptop, but I want to avoid using a laptop in the live show.

Is there a product that I can load a DMX program onto like that? It needs to be fairly robust and simple to operate.

The closest I've seen is the Ryger Footlight USB-DMX, but it does 6 separate programs, not one with breaks, and I'm going to want more than 6breaks. It's a bit pricey too for what I want.

All the proper controls can do this kind of thing - but few people would have a use for a simple playback machine like this. You'd need to programme it on something else. The kind of stomp box type controls are usually only able to do quite basic programming, so to do what you want needs something more complex, but then you don't want the complex system - We did used to have a few playback only units - used in theme parks and places like that - but they were not cheap, just reliable. A cheap laptop, some software and maybe a usb remote to trigger the lighting would be the simplest setup. The trouble with a one button approach is that it can't go back, or jump forwards - so when something happens that needs fixing, they can't do it!

Depending on your budget, you may want to speak with a professional lighting programmer who does this on a day to day basis. As Paul says there are them park type applications, but they are not usually cheap. Give us an idea of budget and maybe we can elaborate further?

Thanks,

It seems the best way to do it without spending a lot of money on a "theme park" type controller is to use a PC-based system and then hack yourself a simplified keyboard for the "operation" phase. A cheap linux box with a DMX dongle would do the trick.

Having said that - if you find 350UKP to be "a bit pricey" then you may be sorely disappointed.

It seems the best way to do it without spending a lot of money on a "theme park" type controller is to use a PC-based system and then hack yourself a simplified keyboard for the "operation" phase. A cheap linux box with a DMX dongle would do the trick.

Having said that - if you find 350UKP to be "a bit pricey" then you may be sorely disappointed.

This is similar to what I was thinking. At school there is a 'conference' type event coming up for the Young Enterprise Students and they want Lighting for it. However, I cant be there on the evening, so I was thinking about a way of doing it so that the person onstage can 'op' the LX (its just simple fade outs for video etc). What I am 'hopefully' going to do it aquire a wireless keyboard, plug the dongle into my laptop running MagicQ PC and outputting via MagicDMX, then put the wireless keyboard inside the lectern onstage. Then, when they want to go to the next cue (as long as no-one fiddles with the laptop), all they have to do is hit the spacebar (which is the keyboard shortcut for 'Go'), and the lighting moves onto the next cue. Nice and simple.....in theory anyway!!

Hope this helps

Max J

You can buy many usb - DMX interfaces for around the 50 pound mark.

All of these will work with freestyler or Magic Q.

However freestyler can be midi triggered , and sound activated, whereas magic Q cannot without seperate interfaces.

so a midi foot pedal and a velleman DMX interface and you are away.

Having said that - if you find 350UKP to be "a bit pricey" then you may be sorely disappointed

I'll see your £350 and reduce it,how about arefurbished laptop,£99. Add either the basic chamsys dongle for a tenner,or be really flash and go for the full monty £60 jobbie .Either way you'll get a few quid change from 200 quid.

If you read the op's heading I think you will find and I quote

Affordable pricing

An e.g. LanBox-LCX stand-alone DMX controller with Ethernet only costs €450*, but is a complete 512 channel lighting desk without the mechanical controls.

this does not fall under the category of "Cheap".

oh and the unit does not have the mechanical controls. Doh!!!

If you read the op's heading I think you will find and I quote Affordable pricing this does not fall under the category of "Cheap".

Agreed the Lanbox is not cheap (but "cheap" was never a requirement), but it is "affordable" as these things go

...avoid using a laptop in the live show ... fairly robust and simple to operate

So that lets out all the PC based options

oh and the unit does not have the mechanical controls. Doh!!!

Of course it doesn't, but it is ready, willing, and able to be robustly controlled:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dsl40328/wd3947/wf249.jpg http://www.socketmanufacturers.com/switch/XAL-B103-Push-Button-Switch.jpg

So there we go, affordable (ish), no laptop, robust, and simple to operate, which is exactly what the OP asked for.

Of course, this is another of these infernal triangle things (smaller, faster, cheaper), and given the choice of cheap, robust, not laptop, simple, it may be that cheap wins, and that not laptop, and/or simple, and/or robust is less important. Or, that the requirements need to be changed and/or simplified to use something that can be afforded.

but "cheap" was never a requirement

"<product worth about £350> is a bit too pricey" was a statement in the first post, so recommending something thats more expensive than that might not do the trick I'd have thought.

To the OP: Is "dont want to use a laptop during the live show" actually "I don't trust a computer to do it"? You can get a shuttle PC (not a laptop) for less than £200 these days, get a USB>DMX dongle, some software and one of those presenter wireless button things or whatever suits your requirements, and away you go. You also then have a system that can expand when your needs expand in the future beyond "I need one button"

Thanks for all the replies.http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

I'm going to sit down and read through the manuals nowhttp://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Archived