Largest collection of scanners in a club!! Cool video!

richardc1983

As others have already kindly pointed out. I was referring to the OPs video about the scanners. The video IS too vague to be able to recognise makes and models. (The video in post #1)

Then I would "kindly point out" that you should take a look at your ability to use the quote function, as you quoted Tony when you made your post.

See attached image.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2v0l6h1.png

• 3 months later...

For those interested in what the scanners are, I've had a little root around on the club's gallery page and found them to actually be Futurelight DJ Scan 250's...

http://www.empire-club.at/imgs/pics/large/linz_223_00108.jpg

I'm guessing they must have ALOT of power to get the rows of scans to fire up. I'm guessing the power would be staggered?

Sorry for late reply guys, doesnt appear that I am getting email notifications! Anyone help with this? My email address is correct.

Anyway thanks for posting the model of scanners. They look impressive in the still picture but I have to agree with some of the others, the programming is far to lame and I think they are moving far too fast.

Scanners look better when "scanning" the room slowly.

I'm sorry but I disagree. Scanners were all about the speed of movement rather than their ability to do fine slow movements. Well programmed.... Here is one of my favourite scanner effects, and the band certainly think so, enough to name check their LD in the intro.....
Does not fully translate to video, but you get the idea

Good video. On stage shows like that they look good going fast but in a club to house music they should be tuned to the music... Eg house music they should scan the room slowly.

EH?

The faster the bpm, the 'faster' the style of lighting. With house, techno and drum and bass, the speed at which the scans/heads move should be fairly fast IMO.

In certain circumstances however, slower scanning or movements can work well with fast tempo movement provided you add fast or beat replicated dimmer/shutter/colour changes (ie odds and evens, 2 groups, 4 groups etc) otherwise the style of the lighting can make the feel of the music slower than it actually is.

the bpm, the 'faster' the style of lighting. With house, techno and drum and bass, the speed at which the scans/heads move should be fairly fast IMO.

In certain circumstances however, slower scanning or movements can work well with fast tempo movement provided you add fast or beat replicated dimmer/shutter/colour changes (ie odds and evens, 2 groups, 4 groups etc) otherwise the style of the lighting can make the feel of the music slower than it actually is.

1:20 into this video

you can see the scanners (clay packy's) they are in the top right, apart from the moving heads on stage they use the scanners throughout this event to scan the room to give a search light effect and I think it looks pretty good.

Will try find a better video.

Heres my lighting rig in action that I used to have setup in my lounge at home for house parties... couldnt afford moving heads and they would have been wrong for the job: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=35083073342&saved

Some more scanners in a club...

Let's do some analysing!

In the first video, the scans do look alright circling into the crowd, but they aren't what I'd consider slow though, but they are definitely not fast. The speed at the beginning of the video is probably the best speed for them. You can see the Mac's though at 1.20 going with the beat of the music (yes I know the music isn't the same music from the actual footage) but they are flashing to replicate the beat of the music. This disguises the slow effect of the heads movement and this is where slow movements can be used with fast music.

The Deadmau5 video is really interesting as it's clear the tech doesn't know the song well.

Before 25 seconds the tech shuts off the scans, believing that the song will go into a slow break tempo. At 25 seconds, the scans open out and circle for the slow tempo but the tempo never changes, as it's another 64 bars away! The look completely doesn't go with the hard beat of the music and it takes him another 8 seconds to realise this by throwing in a dimmer shape so that the slow scan is broken up by the wave of shutters opening and closing. This now makes the whole look go with the music again.

The breakdown hits at 53 seconds so the scans go out. At 1.23, he does the right thing though as he's realised when the drop is and strobes the scans because the song has built up for the drop.

The tech does all the hallmark work of what I would do to the song and in most club work, it's just that he got the timings of the lights to the breakdowns completely wrong.

At the end of the day, it's up to the lighting tech and what he or she can interpret from the music and what colours and effects could be used.

Must say that was a really good post to read. Thank you. You see I would consider them slow compared to what scanners can do. They look best matched with the moving heads on the stage area. What did you think to my Facebook video? Here's some more videos what do you think...

I think the scanners look great, nice big thick solid beams.

- I think this was early doors though so the lighting op is not at his post!

Oh of course Richard, scanners can move at a very fast rate and that is the main beauty about using scanners with certain types of music in certain situations.

I had a look at your first video link and I'd say that although you have some nice odd and even movement on the go, the overall look isn't emphasising the style and mood of the song enough.

My advice as a club lighting tech is that it is all about emphasising the bass and/or snare of the tune as this is what most people catch onto when listening to music like house or drum and bass. Flashing your lights to the beat of the music has far more visual impact than moving the beam around in circles.

The clear example of this is in the last video you posted. At 3.22 the yellow scans aren't moving fast considering the pace of the tune, but it's the fast shutter chase that disguises the slow movements and creates a fairly fast broken beam effect chopping into the crowd.

If the shutters just stayed open, the music translation of what we hear to what we see would be lost.

If you watch your video with the sound muted, it's hard to tell what music is being played and it's tempo . If all the scans flashed on and off or flashed odd and even at 130 beats per minute, the outcome would be entirely different and visual representation of the beat within the music would be highlighted straight away.

James' link is another good example of how shutters can be used well. It's a really nice and classic effect having scans in circle truss like that.

I still say the OP's post is overkill though! :P

Good post... I no longer have that setup in my living room now! Got sick of the cleaning up after parties people treated the place as they would a club so you can imagine the state it got in.

I was limited with the controller as well and my lights, used Mojo Scan II's sold 4 of them 2 of which were on the rig in the lounge and 2 were spare. I kept the metal halide ones due to being brighter. For garden parites would get the spare ones out and have them setup in the garden too.

My controller was a basic Amercican DJ's malarky and was difficult to programme as well as activate the chases because the buttons were not responsive so I did the best with what I had.

The lights do come out for parties at other houses eg halloween and new year. My friend has a massive conservatory and the scanners look great when they shoot the beams out of the roof and into the sky particulary on a cold night it catches the mist.

Just found this video of a good light show:

Clay Paky golden scan

good tune too!

Archived