Old triangular lighting stand

Dazzler

The stand shown in the third picture in the ad that you linked to is actually a microphone stand! The base is way too small for it to be a lighting stand, and the springy-slidy-friction mechanism (I have no idea what its proper name is, I'm sorry!!) for adjusting the height is clearly visible.

I'm guessing that what you're looking for is the old cast-base 4'6" stands that preceeded the more recent Strand drop-leg designs? Either the very early Seecol ones with the flatter casting on the base, or the slightly later Rank Strand ones with the slightly deeper casting with the rounded top. Basically, they look like the ones in the photo you linked to, but bigger and with a proper clamp to lock the height.

If that is what you need, are you looking to hire or buy? If you just want to hire, we have a handful of them sitting in storage underneath the trap room stairs that I'm sure we could rent to you!

Yup definitely a mic stand - we have two of them in the church. Quite nice wee stands, but agony on the shins if you're not careful carrying them!

Paul, what do you mean "they'd make more money than the lighting ones"? They worth anything?

Colin C

EDIT: OK, apparently they were made by Valan Atlas in the 70s and used by the likes of Bono. Just found one on eBay sold for £60! Anyone wanna buy a couple? :-D

They're available new from RCI and marketed as 'the best mic stand in the world'. Studiospares used to stock them but there's no sign on the website. And they are really lovely - great one handed operation, lovely feel, very stable.

What you have there is your original 1960's Valan Mic stand. A hydraulic type microphone stand with a very heavy cast iron base. Re-made by a company called RCI for about 150.00, check out studio spares catalogfue, tho you will need to convert the Mic thread to something that will take a light...if that is your intended purpose.

Pick one up for approx £50 second hand, but check the clutch mechanism is working, or the stand will sink under load. They are not designed for lights, and may not take the weight.

I am looking for another of these stands myself, so if anyone has one in a shed gathering dust let me know!

Cheers

Neil

Hi Gareth, and everyone who has posted so far

Gareth - you're right - I'm looking for the old cast base 4'6" stand that preceeds the more recent drop leg design. The photo was the closest I could find at the time, so I'm sorry for any confusion.

I'm looking for 2 of them to buy ideally, as I have a couple of old Patts that I have refurbed, and I want to put them on stands in my flat.

Nick - I'm based in Glasgow

Cheers,

Darren

Archived